Oliver + S

School days wool alternative

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    madebymum @madebymum

could anyone suggest an alternative to the melton wool fabric? I want to be able to wash the coat but I still want the same look. Thanks

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

You can wash wool if you treat it gently. Pre-wash it in cool water without a lot of agitation before you cut it, and then line dry it–preferably lying flat. As long as you don’t use heat or agitation when you wash it, it should be fine. All the shrinking should happen with the first wash, which is why you need to pre-wash the fabric.

I’m trying to think of other alternative fabrics that might work, aside from wool, and not much is coming to mind. Microfleece is probably too stretchy–unless you interface it. Of course there are raincoat laminates, but they won’t be warm. I’d love to hear any other ideas people have, too.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Wool is very user friendly, it washes well,with care. In between washes, one can sponge down any spots and if one lets it dry, mud will brush off.

LINK
    pixiepurls @pixiepurls

I adore wool, I know everyone looks for “machine washable” fabrics these days but I have two wee ones and I don’t mind a hand washing every once in a while. Something like a coat doesn’t really get that dirty unless you are traveling anyway. Wool also repels water really well which is great for a coat!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Old post, but I recall having a canvas coat with a quilted cotton interior that was machine-washable. It was warm enough for evenings that got down into the high 40s combined with a sweater, but I don’t think it would be useful for anything much cooler than that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.