Oliver + S

Reverse scallops and external hem facing.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • LINK
    Mima @Mima

Hi, I am wondering what the best way is to duplicate the reverse scallops for dress variation G. Are the scallops faced and topstitched to the skirt? And the shaped yoke, too? If not, how do you turn the scallops, especially the points, and get them to lie flat when top stitching? Any help would be appreciated!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

For the dress in the book I did a hem facing with a scalloped edge. To finish the scalloped edge I simple used a basting stitch as a folding guide, then I clipped into the seam allowances where needed to allow the seam allowances to be pressed to the wrong side along the basting line. I trimmed where necessary so they wouldn’t show and then sewed the hem edge and pressed everything carefully again before topstitching it in place. It’s not difficult; just take your time and it should be fine! If your fabric is very light you could interface it, but I try not to since the interfacing makes the fabric more stiff and the hem doesn’t drape as nicely.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.