Oliver + S

Retrospective magnetic snaps insertion

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    speedymog @speedymog

So I’m almost finished making a school days coat in a thick acrylic. Today I finished hand sewing the lining and was ready to do my last step of sewing on the patch toggles when I realised I hadn’t inserted the magnetic snaps on the inside of the facing. D’oh!

So my question is: if I interface a piece of cotton and push the snaps through that and stitch it to the facing, will that work? Will the cotton be sturdy enough to withstand regular opening and closing?
    I’ve attempted to attach a photo.

LINK
    Maggie @MaggieH.

Hi @speeedymog! I just installed a magnetic snap in a bag I’m making. The instructions said to cut out a silver dollar sized piece of fusible fleece, thin cotton batting, fleece, felt, etc. to put behind the snap in addition to regular interfacing on the fabric, which you’ve already done. I think it gives the fabric a little extra strength and padding, which would be good for a coat that’s opened and closed often. Your coat looks great!

LINK
    speedymog @speedymog

Thanks Maggie, I’ve decided to fuse the heavyweight interfacing to the original coat material, which is thick so I’m hoping that will be enough!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.