Oliver + S

Quilted jacket

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Small fry @libloucks

I love the quilted jacket that appears in the o+s blog. I have several friends having babies this fall and would like to gift them each a jacket. A few questions before I start. Is the lining quilted separate from the outer fabric? Or how do you turn it all if it’s quilted together?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

@libloucks, can you give a link to the one you’re referring to? I’m trying to remember which blog post this was and it’s not coming to mind. A quick search hasn’t helped, either.

LINK
    Small fry @libloucks

sew + tell: rachel’s woodland clearing baby wardrobe

It’s super adorable. I just thot it would be bulky to quilt the lining AND the outer fabric. Or can you quilt it without using any batting in one of the layers?

LINK
    Small fry @libloucks

Oops. I don’t know how to link apparently. Does this work?

LINK
    Small fry @libloucks

I still didn’t link. 🙁 it’s Rachel’s woodland clearing blog post. From March 3.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

The link is perfect @libloucks took me straight there. Might look different to you as you’re logged in and your post may appear differently.
    I’ll put my five cents worth in before Rachel answers…
    If you used one layer quilting cotton and one layer of bamboo or cotton wadding then I think it would sew up fine and not be too bulky.
    Alternately, you could sew the shoulder darts then quilt all the layers of each pattern piece. Then, to get a clean finish at the shoulder seams you would flat fell the seams.
    Then finish with the bias binding and no turning required.
    I just made a coat that’s almost like a giant version of the lullaby layette using flat felled seams everywhere and it’s fabulous, but flat felling down into sleeves (especially on a baby coat size -eek!) is not for the faint hearted!

LINK
    Rachel Le Grand @nestfullofeggs

@libloucks, there is definitely more than one way to make the quilted jacket, but here is what I did… First I made the quilted fabric with 3 layers: fabric, batting, fabric. Then I cut out the pattern pieces. I cannot remember if I used organic cotton batting or white fleece for that particular piece. Quilting the fabrics first did change a couple of the steps. I used pinking shears to finish the inside seams and therefore the jacket is not reversible. Also I used bias binding to finish the sleeve cuffs. Hope that helps. All the best to you making a quilted Lullaby Layette jacket. Have fun baby sewing! Lucky friends to get your sewing creations!

LINK
    Small fry @libloucks

Ahhh. Thank you for all your advice! @nestfullofeggs and @lightningmcstitch. I went ahead and tried to quilt each lining piece and each outer piece. I used a light weight flannel instead of batting to cut down on the bulk. I think it turned out lovely. The pattern seems roomy enough to handle it.

LINK
    Small fry @libloucks

A fast and easy baby gift. 🙂

Attachments:
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.