Oliver + S

Question about Invisible Thread

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

We have our School Ball coming up next week and I’ve been asked to fix the hem on a neighbour’s daughters dress. I found out today that the dress is a dark silver.

I’m wondering, instead of trying to source an exact match of thread, would it be suitable to use Invisible thread instead? I’m assuming I will have to hand blind stitch the hem but seeing I haven’t actually seen the dress, that’s only an assumption.

I’m not familiar with this thread at all so does it work in the same manner as normal sewing thread? If I have to sew on the machine can I fill the bobbin with it?

Either way it means a flying trip to Spotlight for thread.

Thanks in advance, any input would be much appreciated.

Tamara

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Tamara, I have used this a few times. I’m not a fan of it. Things to keep in mind are:

-When winding a bobbin (should you use the machine) if your bobbin is made of plastic and not metal, the winding process can heat up the plastic and distort it, making the bobbin unusable.

-Do not iron where there is invisible thread, you will melt it.

-There is nylon and polyester invisible threads.

Here is a thread that talked about it at Pattern Review: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/sewingclasses/board.pl?f=30&t=37254

Here is a link with more information of the make up of the thread: http://www.sewing.org/files/guidelines/6_141_invisible_thread.pdf

I would only use it as a last resort. 🙂

Carol

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Thanks for that Carol,

I really have to get my head in the zone. I think I have some clear thread for a yet to be finished quilting project that I could use to save some unnecessary running around. Other than that I may have to find the closest match possible. Just need to really take a look at the colour first to weigh up options.

I’m just going to have to “make do and mend” as best I can seeing as my child has a nit issue we need to face “head on” lol. Face these things with humour and maybe they can be more bareable.

Cheers

Tamara

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Tamara,

“Nit Picking” is really the only way to work through this. We had this creep up on us a few years back. Us ladies have long hair and two of us have curly hair. You can imagine the horror at the thought of lice in our hair. We used a natural solution of mayonnaise and Olive oil and nit picked with the special comb for lice, along with magnifying glasses and picked our heads, twice a day for the first while, then only once a day. We got them. We did the second application as suggested and never had any more. I was grateful! I did not want to use the pesticides, this was a hopeful options and it worked out beautifully. We never had to cut our hair, thankfully. 🙂

If you have difficulty (hurting your back)washing your daughter’s hair, and if she fits on your ironing board (meaning it’s strong and long enough) you could have her lay down on the ironing board, head to the wide end and put it up to the sink level and wash her hair that way….I found that much easier in working with the hair. 🙂

Wishing you well,

Carol

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I will only use clear/invisible thread for things that aren’t going to be worn. It’s itchy, scratchy stuff. It doesn’t break as easily, so it tends to tear the fabric instead of the thread, which is much easier to fix.

I’ve sewn some things that are silver, and I just use either a light gray or a dark grey, and it stays hidden pretty well. If you must use the clear thread, make sure you hand wind the bobbin, or the thread can stretch out while going on to the bobbin. It will then contract again once it’s released from the bobbin, and it will cause your material to bunch up.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Thanks for your help,

I’ve just returned from the shop with grey thread and that will be that. I know how to use this one so there will be no threat of stuffing up a hem and if I have to machine sew it then it will be too easy. The clear thread can stay with the unfinished quilting project and we can become acquainted later.

Tamara

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.