Oliver + S

problem with front facing and Lining

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    harrisinaus @harrisinaus

I had some great trouble in joining the front lining to the front facing. I have done it, I think it is wrong. I did it twice actually. I I set the arms in ok though. But now I have gone to join the lining to the coat, I can’t get the pieces to match up. So when I sew the lining to the facing, the top then (where it joins to the back lining at the shoulder seams) has about half lining and half facing. Have I done that right? I just couldn’t figure it out from the illustration. If so, how the heck does it join to the coat as it doesn’t fit across the neck. I then unpicked one side and it still doesn’t look right.

Please help, I can see the end of the tunnel, but it just isn’t fitting.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

Yep, the shoulder seams sound right. The front seam is about half facing and half lining. You can see pictures of the inside in the Flickr stream. I’ll try to find a good example.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie
    LINK
    harrisinaus @harrisinaus

Thanks Maggie. I will try again to join the lining on. My issue, is that if I pin it from the neckline down, the facing is a few inches shorter than the front placket?

I love the loop you inserted at the hood, I did the same.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Do you mean the bottom of the facing? At the hem?

It is so long since I have made this jacket but I think (from memory) the hem folds up and encloses it.

I will email a friend who has just made them and see if she can shed some light for you.

~Nicole~

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, the facing is shorter than the hem. The hem will fold up to cover most of the facing, but there is a tiny part that will be exposed. Somewhere, the instructions state this and advise you to finish that bit. I’m sure I just zig safes it. It was wool, and didn’t get worn or washed too often. It worked just fine.

LINK
    harrisinaus @harrisinaus

Thanks. This is several inches shorter though, not just a little bit. Is there any chance I could have sewn the left lining to the right facing? My armholes work though.

LINK
    harrisinaus @harrisinaus

Ladies,

I unpicked my lovely finished lining piece.. I pinned it all together to the coat, and the answer is yes; I sewed the font left lining to the right facing and vice versa. I managed to resew it all without taking out the arms and it all fits much better now! Thanks for the help,. I will post a finished picture when I am done. Of course now all my seams don’t match as i had trimmed the seams, but I am making it fit.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Is this helpful? I didn’t leave the exposed piece on either coat I’ve made for my daughter. During my hand sewing I closed it up. And since I felt like there was enough give and movement, I didn’t hand sew my lining higher. I’ll try to remember to get a picture of the coat I made for her last year too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sayiamyou/5394414858/in/set-72157625309793409/

LINK
    harrisinaus @harrisinaus

Thanks Ladies.

I got it all finished. Here it is:

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/94753976@N02/8650547696/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.