Oliver + S

Problem with digital sleepover pj

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    Stephie @Stephie

I just printed out my first O+S digital pattern. The 1″ square measured correctly. I followed the directions which stated “if a piece bleeds over the gridded area, trim the edge from the piece so that only the grid remains. Join the piece…using the grid lines to align the pieces.”

I did this and on a couple pieces I ended up having my edges missing, and on other pieces having to align my pieces using the actual pattern lines because matching the grid lines caused the pattern lines to be completely off.

Does anyone have any ideas what may have happened? All of the grid squares do equal 1″. Will my pattern be the right dimensions if I lined things up by the pattern lines instead of the grid lines?

Thanks

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

You know, I actually do it pretty much the way you do it, and haven’t had any issue so far — I didn’t notice that using the grid lines would cause a mismatch, though — it was just obvious where the pattern line was. When you say “matching the grid lines” do you mean you are matching up the pages edge-to-edge so the grid lines square up? Or that you are laying the tiles over one another so they square up?

LINK
    Stephie @Stephie

After cutting off the outside edge of the paper -per the directions-on the outside grid lines of each page, then I butt the pages/grid together. The grid lines didn’t line up on a few of the pieces, and the waistband and pants cuff were missing part of an edge on one side where I had cut it off in the process of “trimming the edge so that only the grid remains.”

Sounds like in the future I can just match pattern lines and everything will go much quicker and smoothly?

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yes, after trimming the bleed. Hm. Now I’m trying to remember if tried the butting edge-to-edge … I am guessing I did not, as my printer feeds a bit unevenly so I am not always able to print the full length (not width) of an image, so my lowest row of grid squares would be a little short.

Did the numbered/lettered circles all land in the right place, adjacent to one another?

LINK
    Stephie @Stephie

Yes, they seemed to be adjacent to one another. I guess everyone must just line up the pattern lines and kind of ignore the grid.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Generally the grid will line up but I haven’t got the digital version of this pattern so it could be slightly out?

I usually line up the lines to make them meet up and the grids seem to fall into line. But occasionally they will be slightly askew. Matching the lines might give a better result perhaps?

LINK
    Stephie @Stephie

Yes, I think just matching the lines will work out better. I’ll remember that for next time. Thanks for everyone’s help!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Good luck, look forward to seeing the PJs!

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

If I can chime in here….

Yes, always align the pieces at the pattern lines instead of the grid lines. The grid is very accurate, but there may be occasions where the pattern lines across a page break fall a millimeter or two off the grid. Given the nature of how the digital patterns are produced, that’s bound to happen every once in a while. If that’s the case, align the pattern lines. The grid lines will still be so close that most people won’t even notice.

Just so you all understand the process, we test all the digital patterns by printing and assembling the pieces using the pattern lines. So if you use those, you will be fine.

If you have a page that has printed funky, it’s probably an issue with the printer. (That even happens to us every so often when we’re testing. The printer just grabs a piece of paper a little off how it usually does.) If that’s the case, just reprint the page that looks “off.” The new page should be fine for you.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ah, that’s interesting! I didn’t know that’s how it worked. Neat behind-the-scenes peek!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.