Oliver + S

Pocket Placement Error?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Is it me, or couldthere be a pattern error?

I’m sewing a size 4 Secret Agent Trench Coat. The pocket placement marks outline a rectangle, yet the finished pocket is square.

The vertical placement marks are not far enough apart to allow attaching each corner of the UNFOLDED pocket yet are too far apart for the corners of the FOLDED pocket.

I therefore had to choose between matching the top edge to the top marks, or the bottom edge to the bottom marks. Now that I’m almost finished it looks like I chose wrongly and will need to move my pockets up.

I went back to the original pattern piece and checked my pocket against the paper pattern. It is definitely a vertical rectangle rather than a square….

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have made this twice and I don’t remember a problem.

Possibly I auto corrected it myself?

Anyone else made the bigger size and noticed it?

~Nicole~

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I don’t think the pockets are square. I made them wrong (square) the first time I made the and had to rip them out.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Are you folding down the flap too far?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m in the process of my first go at this pattern now and have just attached the pockets. I’m doing a size 12 and so far difficulties despite the correspondence of the rectangle markings and the pocket itself being slight skewiff – I’m putting it down to the fact I am working with corduroy which can stretch slightly.

Did you check the pattern markings also? Sometimes I inadvertently mark the wrong placing on things but remark them in the process if I see a mistake.

I figure that they need to sit below the belt line if this is any help although I think you are more concerned about the actualy shape?

Sorry for not being more helpful than that …

Tamara

LINK

My pockets are most definitely square. I suspect I might have made a mistake in folding the flaps down too far. But I’ve just taken them off and reattached them higher up (before looking back here, doh!). I shall check what I’ve missed as I did see reference to a “fold line” and thought “that’s odd I don’t have a fold line” Hence, i’ve folded them at the point where the flap joins the pocket. (lesson: the pattern always knows best)

Once I work out what I’ve done I just need to decide whether I care enough to change it again! 🙂

Thanks everyone.

Shelley

…… Pockets are now thrice attached and finally correct!

Thanks to the lovely forum sewers and sheepish apologies to Liesl & Co.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh you are funny! we all do it once or twice (or a hundred!). I have just realised a mistake with my pockets too now you mention it. They don’t have buttons to put on but the flaps keep wanting to sit up!?! Reviewing the instructions seem like a very good idea! Not to self: take own advice!

LINK

I’ve just been doing a little hand sewing and put a few stitches in the back part of the pocket flap and the pocket itself to keep the flaps nicely folded.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.