Oliver + S

Pleats on the skirt ~ What do you think?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I made the 2+2 skirt for my daughter’s school uniform, however, instead of basting the pleats, I actually stitched them for more of a form-fitting waist. Now I’m wondering, do I top stitch the pleats? Leave them as they are? While I’m loving the cuteness of my little girl in her uniform-look, I feel like I need to do something different with the skirt… or is it just me over-analyzing? Maybe it’s the fabric… perhaps, it’s not heavy enough… Can you tell I need a 2nd opinion or two or three or more?

HELP!

I LOVE that these patterns can be used for uniforms, too!!!! I’m going to make the Tea Party dress (jumper) next.

2+2 Skirt ~ Oliver + S Pattern

LINK
    sews4kla @sews4kla

I think the skirt is very cute and I like the more form fitted waist. It is well suited for khaki or denim. I vote for top stitching. Not to add a big contrast but to make the seams more structurally sound. When the fabric gets stressed or pulled (on the play ground or in the spin cycle) the seams might separate. A top stitch will keep the seam from pulling apart. I also, like edge stitching the outside and inside folds of the pleats. Then they won’t flatten out. I think I just showed my age by suggesting that you put edge stitched pleats in a child’s skirt (ha ha). But, maybe just edge stitching the inside fold of the pleat will help hold a good crease for the uniform skirt look (the edge stitching should help out with the ironing). I also love the shoes. They are like a great mix of Mary Jane’s and wing tips.

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

I think I’d be tempted to top stitch (this is the very next thing on my sewing list so I’m keen to see you experiment!). At the moment it is a bit half way between loose and structured and with that colour it would look nice going all the way (over to the structured side), especially as it is a uniform. If you do – I’d love to see photos 🙂

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Well, I added more structure by 1.) making my own spray starch recipe (love it!) and 2.) pressing the pleats perfectly.

pleated skirt after starch

I like the idea of edge-stitched pleats – I’ve done that before with the Birthday Party Dress, but I’m wondering how it will look on this skirt. I may play around with it (after I buy some perfectly matching thread). haha!

LINK
    Toyota888 @Toyota888

Wow – that looks like a completely different skirt! I have never used starch – will you need to restarch often or does it last a few washes? I’m popping over to the Flickr pool to see if your Birthday Party dress is there – I’m keen to see that edge stitching.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I’ve been told the starch remains somewhat and that the lines will stay making it easier to press after washing, but we shall see!

I don’t have the Birthday Party Dress in the Flickr group, but I seem to recall another member posting details for the top-stitched pleats. ??

>>> JUST FOUND IT! http://www.flickr.com/photos/po-prior/3397177528/

and this one, too: http://www.flickr.com/photos/72545752@N00/3443037097/

LINK
    norasroom @norasroom

I really love this skirt with the pleats pressed all the way down. I spritz my birthday party dresses with vinegar and water before pressing, which also helps to keep the pleats creased nicely (another cheap solution! We buy white vinegar by the gallon around here). In addition to edge-stitching the inside folds, you can also lay a length of fusible thread inside the outer folds, right up against the fold line, and press. The thread melts and makes a permanent crease line.

P.S. Love the shoes!

LINK
    isewstuff @isewstuff

Okay April, I have to know where you got the shoes? What brand are they? I keep trying to read the posts and come up with something of value to suggest, but I keep getting sidetracked by the shoes!

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Aren’t those shoes amazing; I even get side-tracked by those shoes! I want a pair for ME! Anyway, they are Little Raggio and I bought them on eBay a few months back to save for my daughter when she started school. They were brand new in the box and I got them for about half of retail.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

HOLY COW THOSE SHOES

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.