Oliver + S

playsuit short pieces aren't matching up

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    cathy @cathy

I’m making the 18-24M Playsuit Shorts without snaps. I traced the pattern onto freezer paper. Then, cutout my pattern pieces.

I’m on the following step –

“1. Pin one front and back playsuit panel together, right sides facing , and sew the side and inseam.”

The picture indicates that the pieces line up exactly. However, this is definitely not the case for me. The top seems to match okay. But, piece #9 is much wider on the bottom and the pieces don’t match up.

I’ve double-checked that I traced correctly. I even took my traced piece #9 and tried to match it with pattern piece #8 and the reverse as well without any luck.

Any advice on what I may have done wrong and how to correct this?

Thanks, Cathy

LINK
    Anonymous @

I noticed the same thing. I made the same size as you. I just ignored it and kept sewing. I figured I’d double check my pattern tracing before I make another but haven’t had a chance. Since we both had this issue, I don’t think it’s our tracing?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think you’re saying that the back is wider than the front, correct? With any pants pattern this will generally be the case because we all have more “volume” on our backsides than our fronts. The illustration doesn’t really show that–we probably should have shown the back laying on top of the front so you could see the extra fabric–but the pieces should go together without any problems. Does that help to clarify at all?

LINK
    Anonymous @

Hi Liesl,

The issue I found is in the crotch seam. The back is about 1/4 in longer than the front. I’m not sure if this is the same thing cathy is referring to or not.

Sandi

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

After all this time that this pattern has been in print, I think you’re both the first to point this out! I’ll go back and check it. And yes, I think it’s probably just something you can ignore–trim the hem edge to match and it should be fine. Thanks for tell me!

LINK
    cathy @cathy

I’m sorry. I still don’t understand how to make this work out. I can make the pattern match at the top, along the long straighter edge, and the bottom. It’s the inner edge that I have so much trouble with. The top matches up okay but along the bottom curve there’s an extra 1″+ that I have to match together.

Thanks, Cathy

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

Hi Cathy! how frustrating to be having trouble with this. I’ll see if I can help identify the confusion… that inner edge is called the inseam. when I measure the original pattern for the size you referenced, from the upper inseam corner to the “bend” the lines on the front and back pieces are identical in length; however from the bend to the hem edge they are different lengths–the back pattern piece from bend to hem edge is longer by 1/8th inch than the front pattern piece from bend to hem edge. I would myself redraw the lower hem edge to account for that small difference. and now I see now why when I made this that the hem didn’t work out too evenly, though I had cut precisely.

I do not see how you would have a full extra 1″ to match unless somehow when tracing you followed one size line on one pattern piece and one size line for the other. an easy test would be to just lay your fabric piece on top of the original pattern and see what size line it is where the edges of your fabric are laying. maybe you could post a picture to show us, too?

And keep trying! sewing is a long learning process 🙂 There is nothing like the feeling of success when you hit a road block and then keep trying and keep trying to make a way and then hurray the garment is finished!

LINK
    cathy @cathy

Okay, finally got back to this and took the photos. I’m still seeing a mismatch along the inseam. I can’t see a way to match the inseam without 3/4-1″ of extra fabric. I’ve posted the photos and would appreciate any advice on what I’m doing wrong.

Piece #8 19-24M is cutout and matches the pattern –

Image #1

Flip Piece #8 onto #9 to match on the inseam –

Image #2

Detail of the mismatch –

Image #3

Thanks again, Cathy

LINK
    Anonymous @

Hi Cathy,

Sorry you are still having trouble with this. Have you tried pinning the two fabric pieces together along the seam? It might be that you are trying to lay them both flat and have them line up. Since you are making a three-dimensional garment, they won’t match up laying flat.

If you get them pinned or basted together, show us a picture so we can see what you’ve got.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I had the same problem too! I did ignore though and keep going. They turned out fine, but did have me scratching my head.

LINK
    cathy @cathy

Okay, I think I see how to do it now. I was confused as to what the inseam was and thought that I needed to sew the whole length of the side. I should be able to match the inseam and not worry about the mismatch on the rest of it.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Oh good – I’m glad you’ve got it figured out! SUCH a cute outfit. Too bad the one I made for my little guy doesn’t fit over his cloth diapers – oops! We just have to use paper once in awhile so he can wear it. 🙂

LINK
    cathy @cathy

Finished! Well, just the buttons left 🙂 And, not a moment too soon as it just fits. And as an added bonus, it’s navy blue stars on the top and khaki linen on the bottom so it’ll be just perfect for July 4th.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Yea!!! Perfect! We need 4th of July pictures on the flickr pool.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.