Oliver + S

Penguin back pack

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

So I don’t have the book yet, but I am planning to order it this week. I want to make the back back right away for my daughter to take with us as her carry on bag for our trip to Boston and NYC this spring. Anyway, can anyone share fabric requirements- specifically for the outside? I have something picked out and want to order it when I order the book. I have to wait until March 1- I am on a budget. 🙂

For the first one I make, I do not plan on doing a penguin. (this is not to say that I won’t make a penguin eventually!!

Thanks!!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Since I happened to be sitting here, brushing my teeth, with a copy of the book within reach (odd, I know, to be brushing and reading the forums…) here are the requirements:

1 yard of 44″-wide fabric for the outside

3/4 yard of 44″-wide fabric for the lining

you’ll also want a little fusible interfacing, an 18″ zipper, and two 1 1/2″ wide strap adjusters.

Have fun!

LINK
    mrsc1345 @mrsc1345

I have made two Penguin backpacks so I consider myself an expert. 😉 I used a 54″ canvas fabric and I bought a 3/4 yard and had plenty left over. I think I used a 1/2 yard cut I already had for the lining, and it was a tight fit, but I made it. I had been meaning to ask this, while it says the penguin design is optional, there are no real instructions on how to not make it a penguin, if that makes any sense, Liesl, would you just cut another lining piece out of the exterior fabric to have the single piece on the outside? This is probably a really stupid question, but I wasn’t sure, and I always seem to mess these simple things up, by not accounting for seam allowances or something or another. So nice just to be able to ask the designer herself instead of trial and erroring myself!

LINK
    Rebecca W @craftalittle

Thanks! I am excited to make it and stuff it full of goodies to keep my 3 year old entertained in all of our travels!

once I get the book I might be coming on asking the same question that mrsc1345 did!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Sorry it’s taking me a while answer questions. I’m knee deep in Lisette fabric designs for next spring, trying to get the collection finished and staying off-line while I focus.

Yes, you could either use the lining piece or fold the two front pieces as though you were sewing them together with a 1/2″ seam and tape them temporarily. If that makes any sense.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Just a note that this is a great little pack, and very good for making from scraps from other projects. I made mine with a zipper with two pulls (since that’s what they had at the notions shop) and it’s quite nifty. I also used parachute clips instead of adjustable thingamabobs, because my daughter likes playing with the buckles on her car seat. Turns out they’re also nifty for extracting a child who does not want to go to bed from her new backpack!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Did you, like me, fall a bit in love with the Paris backpack Liesl made? Three Sisters have a very pretty Paris map print in their Etchings line, I think it’s available for pre-order 🙂

LINK
    mollie_halbrook @mollie_halbrook

How to waterproof the lining? Pul fabric? Other ideas welcome. Has anyone added different shape outter pockets? Maybe side pockets?

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I’m pretty sure you can buy iron-on vinyl, which I think will work if you have your mind already set on a specific lining fabric (also, I think this is recommended for the messy kid bib in the LTTS book). Haven’t added pockets to the outside of the 2 I’ve made, but I suspect it might be relatively simple, especially since there are instructions in the book for side pockets on the messenger bag. I wonder if you couldn’t fiddle with those to make something work?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.