Oliver + S

Pencil skirt: Lining question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Sabrina B. @sbmeist

I was hesitant to buy the pencil skirt pattern because I bike to work, but a colleague of mine says she can bike in her pencil skirts. I’m excited to use the Extra Sharp Pencil Skirt to give it a try. Pencil skirts *are* extremely sharp looking!

In preparing, I’m curious to know more about the issue of lining. The pattern calls for an unlined skirt, and I’m just wondering what the advantages of this are. Is it primarily related to ease of sewing? I’ll be using a wool suiting, and am just wondering if I should consider adding a lining, even with the greater complexity.

Thanks,
    Sabrina

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

You can certainly line the skirt, but a lining and instructions for lining it are not included in the pattern because, after much debate, I decided to keep it simple. We’ll do a lined pencil skirt someday, but it was too difficult to include un-lined and lined in one pattern. I hope that helps, and when I did a lot of biking I also wore pencil skirts!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve cycled wearing mine – only a short distance (school commute) mind you and mine is a stretch pleather, but it was fine to ride in.

LINK
    Phyllis G. @pgoodman7

I was wondering about lining it, too. I’ve made one without a lining and it works fine. I plan on making another. But having a lining would prevent the fabric from getting baggy in the seat.
    Is there a blog post somewhere on how to line a skirt?
    If a skirt doesn’t call for a lining but you make one anyway, do you skip any waist and edge facings that may be included and attach the lining to the edge?
    Thanks.
    Phyllis

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Phyllis, here’s a lining tutorial that is perfectly adaptable for the Extra Sharp Pencil Skirt:

how to line shorts–or any pair of pants

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.