Oliver + S

pattern sizing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    kim @kim

Hello! I love your simplistic, beautiful, elegant patterns for children. Time has gone soooo fast at my house and my oldest girl is outgrowing your patterns!!!! Any thoughts, ideas to enlarge patterns? (I have a TALL 9 year old – probably size 10 for length).

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

………….. and this is me BEGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGING for larger sizes, too. <BIG GRIN> 😉 (I want my daughter to retain the innocence of classic styling for as long as possible.)

LINK
    KarenK @KarenK

Me too. Any chance that they’ll size up to 10 in the future? It is so difficult to find modest, age appropriate clothing these days. I’m dying to make some of these patterns for my older nieces.

And I am desperate for the Teaparty and the Bubble in a size bigger than 5. PLlleeeeezzze.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ok, full disclosure. We’re planning to do the Tea Party in larger sizes to test this market. If it does well, we’ll be happy to offer additional styles in the larger sizes as well. Not all of the styles would translate into larger sizes, but we’ll be happy to provide them if we think they make sense. Thanks for asking!

LINK
    Cissie @Cissie

Liesl, I never thought that my 7 year old DGD would like the bubble dress. But when she saw the 2 I made for the younger girls, she was dying for one. She loves it and it looks adorable on her with capri leggings! Fortunately, she is small so the size 6 fit fine. But from now on, I’m begging too!

Cissie

LINK
    MegSmocks @MegSmocks

Add me to the list that would love to see your patterns in larger sizes. My “baby” is 7 and is just moving into a size 10. (Really needs a size “9” as it is a big jump from 8 to 10.) She is very tall for her age. I prefer to keep her dressed in clothes that are age appropriate and it is getting more and more difficult. The two top on my list for larger sizes are Sailor Top and pants/skirt and Sunday Brunch. Actually all of your skirt and top outfits would transition well up to larger sizes…up to a 12 or 14 would be wonderful.

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

I know I already commented on this topic, however, I just wanted to say that whenever I shop Target or similar department stores, there is the little girls department with all the pretty little dresses, blouses, tops, pants, skirts, etc… the generality of the garments is that they are modest and age appropriate. Then I go to the next girls department and I feel like the store is trying to market my little girl into growing up faster than necessary, if you know what I mean.

All that to say, aside from a few of the Ottobre designs, I have not really found a mid-range pattern company (sizes 7-14) that trends more on the classic and timeless.

I would hope that if you ever did decide to branch out into the larger size ranges, it would be a breath of fresh air to the market!

Here’s hoping SweetPea will look back on her childhood clothing and think Oliver + S was a dominant brand in her wardrobe. (hehe)

LINK
    vintagegirl @vintagegirl

I have a similar question. My youngest daughter is tall and so has just reached a size 10. I love the new Jump Rope Dress Pattern, and would love to make it for her, but I am not experienced in pattern alterations. Is it possible to take this pattern in a size 8 and alter it to fit a size 10? Would I just add a half inch to the size 8 following the changes that were made to the pattern pieces to go from a 6 to an 8? Any input would be appreciated. I would love to buy this pattern if I could increase the size successfully.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

We’ve heard your pleas for larger sizes and will be offering some options in this area soon. Thanks for your patience–not every style translates well into larger sizes, and there is a great deal of testing involved in developing a new size range. Thanks for your feedback on this!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Vintagegirl, here are a couple of previous blog posts that address your question regarding larger sizes:

http://www.oliverands.com/blog/2009/01/size-of-it-part-1.html

http://www.oliverands.com/blog/2009/01/size-of-it-part-2.html

Best wishes,

Liesl

LINK
    vintagegirl @vintagegirl

Liesl, I appreciate the feedback. It looks like enlarging the pattern is a bit more complicated than I imagined! I do love your patterns, they are classics with a fresh feel to them. I will echo what a previous poster said – It’s sad to not be able to find cute, modest, age-appropriate things for your girls once they have passed a size 6X in retail clothing and patterns. My daughters are tall, so this is a real problem for us. So I will be first in line to purchase your patterns if some larger sizes are developed. I do understand that not every pattern that looks cute on a 4 year old works for an 8 year old, but maybe some styles could be tweaked a bit? Can’t wait to see what Oliver + S can do!!

LINK
    snickerspotpie @snickerspotpie

Hey, newbie here, just wanting to add my plea for larger sizes! I was thrilled (!) to find your beautiful patterns, then just as devastated to see that they won’t fit my 12-year-old. I think that the School Days Jacket would be simply perfect for church and the Sandbox Pants could be worn most of the year…….if only they would fit! Such classic shapes should not be limited to the little ones. I’m still planning to buy the patterns for my 5-year-old , but I would love to have matching outfits.

Please, please, please introduce larger sizes and more options for boys. It’s such an under-represented market!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.