Oliver + S

open or closed toe walking foot?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

I can’t figure out if I need an open toe or closed toe walking foot. I want to try one for topstitching to see if it will help me avoid the puckers I run into. any thoughts? thanks!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

What brand of machine do you have aegean17?It may help to know this in order to best help you with your question as some brands have different tools than others.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17
    LINK
    Robin @Robin

Hello There! I like the open toe walking foot. It allows you to see where the needle is in relation to your fabric.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Ok so it must be an older janome am I correct? The newer ones have accufeed so you wouldn’t need this foot – they have accufeed topstitching feet which makes it a little easier. I had an open toe walking foot for my real old Janome and this worked well for top stitching because you can see where you are going a lot better. So I advise you get yourself one of those to make a great sewing experience. Hope you have lots of fun finding out what else you can do with the walking foot.

LINK
    aegean17 @aegean17

thanks for the responses 🙂 I’ll try an open toe and see how it goes.

justsewit, it’s a newer machine but it’s a basic one without anything fancy. I bet the accufeed is in a higher end model.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I guess it depends on the bells and whistles the model has. I am lucky enough to have one with this but this walking foot you are after will be able to do the job just fine.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think my Jem has the closed-toe style. It works fine, but the open-toe style seems like you would be able to see what you’re doing a lot more easily.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.