Oliver + S

On using a serger……

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I was thrown by that too Sarvi. I’ve taken to measuring the seam distance from the needle I’m using (can vary for three or four thread overlockingr so I guess that’s why there’s no set distances on the machine) then noting what that lines up with on the machine.

Ther are some marks on my machine but they measure how much is being cut off by the blade and they’re big numbers. I can’t imagine when I’ll ever want to slice a full inch off beyond the width of the seam itself!

I’ve started using mine to finish seam allowances before constructing the garment and I love doing this as finishing them once sewn bugs me no end. Also using it for all knit sewing and loving it.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Mine has distances marked on the top of the looper cover, front as flap that drops down, as distances from both right and left needle, one line is solid and the other is dotted. If no markings measure and find something to line up against.

If you bought it from a dealer and they have lessons take them if possible, I didn’t realise that my dealer had lessons until recently but I am going to take them over 2 years after buying my machine, although I have been using an overlocker for 20years I am sure I will learn something new!

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

I do the same as Lightning; I find a point on my machine to use as a guide. One of those re-positional vinyl seam guides could be handy, though. 🙂

LINK
    wendy @wendyls

Oh, scratch that! I just looked at my serger and realized there isn’t anywhere to place a repositional seam guide!

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

You ladies have inspired me to be a bit more aggressive with my machine, and learn some fancy things! I also have the 1034D!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.