Oliver + S

Notches not matching up

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    melellery @melellery

Ok, so have no idea what I’ve done wrong here. I have cut out 2 size 6 skirts and am up to joining the yokes to the flounce. Problem is my notches don’t line up along the top of the flounce and the bottom of the yoke. If I do match up the double and single notches it gives an extremely uneven spacing. Am I just reading the instructions wrong? Anyone else have this problem?

My first skirt I’ve just ignored the notches and ‘made it fit’ but the second one I seem to have way too much length in the flounce to fit the yoke. Pretty sure it didn’t stretch, I even ran a basting stitch around the top.

No one seems to have mentioned it on the Flickr group, so it is probably me and my unco sewing 🙂

Otherwise I ADORE this skirt, and if I hadn’t run into this problem was going to sing its praises as being so quick to run up.

Sigh

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Hey Mel, someone may be able to answer you before I get back home from work, but if not I’ll look at my notes and get back to you!

LINK
    Jane @jesims

If I remember mine didn’t match up perfectly either. I did have to do some stretching of the yoke to get everything to work.

The second time I made the skirt, I attached the yoke a little differently to make things a bit easier. I tried to explain it here: http://notsewplain.blogspot.com/2012/08/2-days-2-skirts-oliver-s-hula-hoop.html

Maybe that will help.

Jane

LINK
    LisaMM @LisaMM

Hi there, I noticed that my notches didn’t match up either but both pieces fit together nicely. I just ignored the notches and the end result was quite perfect, you wouldn’t have known that the notches weren’t aligned. It’s a lovely skirt to sew and so quick that I was able to finish it while the little one was napping.. :o)

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ok, I think I know what the problem is. The notches are correct, but when you’re transferring the notches to the yoke it will work best if you stack the two cut yoke pieces right side up before marking the notches. That way the back notches will match up the same as the front notches. Does that make sense? We’ll issue a clarification on this, just to avoid any further confusion. Thanks for pointing it out!

LINK
    Noodles @Noodles

thanks for that Liesl. I think I DID work that out in the end, but by that time I think I had pinned it a thousand times! It all worked out in the end though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.