Oliver + S

New to Knits

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • LINK
    paula @paula

Help! I cannot believe how many knit fabrics there are and how few are available at the fabric stores in my area. I am forced to buy online, but can’t figure out what to buy.

What kind of knit is T- Shirt material? Turtle necks? Sweat shirts? Even sweatshirt material seems to differ in weight and type.

Also, polar fleece for jackets is different than fleece that is used for blankets. How do I know which I am buying?

Is there a tutorial or cheat sheet for knits anywhere? I’d appreciate any help. Thanks!

LINK
    paula @paula

Well, I stand corrected. I went to Joann yesterday and to my surprise, they had quite a few different kinds of knits. While it is still clear as mud, I was able to get some micro fleece to make the Nature Walk pullover. I asked the gentleman behind the cutting counter and he claims that the fleece I got is the best quality and the best for making jackets, at least that they carry. It seems like most of the printed fleece is not the best quality and would be too bulky in a jacket.

I did find some knit for the pants at G Street Fabrics on Saturday, but I couldn’t tell you what kind of knit it is! 🙂

I need to take a ‘Knits Demystified’ class (if there was such a thing).

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Oh Paula.. me too! 🙂

LINK
    mrskanuckles @mrskanuckles

I like girlcharlee.com They put the weights of the fabric and the stretch right on the item listing. Most of the fabric I have got I have been happy with. Only one I can think of faded after some washing. The prices are great too!

I usually sew t-shirts with jersey.

Jersey with Lycra or spandex content on small pieces that need to be pressed when sewing are tricky because the edges roll and are fiddely, especially with working with using it as binding.

I like to use interlock for pajamas or lighter sweat type shirts. It is a bit easier to sew with then jersey because it doesnt seem to stretch as much and is heavier.

Ribbing is good for bindings and heavier t-shirts.

Double knits can work well for the sailboat top or anything where alot of stretch isnt needed.

I dont know alot about fleece, but I usually look at the non-pill fleece for jackets.

I may be wrong on anything I said above, I just use what I have learned and do not claim to be an expert 😉

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I just discovered that sweatshirt material is also called fleece. I always think of fleece as the polyester polar fleece.

Jersey seems to be the lightest weight knit. I think interlock is the same on both sides–2 knit sides and no purl if you are a knitter.

A lot of fabrics online, just say “light to medium” weight. Not much help at all.

I recently bought some ribbing that was on a bolt. Hubby was waiting and i was rushing. It was cut before I realized it was a tube. Now I don’t know if all ribbing is sold that way.

I just started taking a class on knits from craftsy.com. So far it is pretty helpful. I will have to see if the tips actually work when I sew my next project.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Liesl did a blog post about the different knit fabrics:

http://oliverands.com/blog/2010/12/some-knit-fabric-basics.html

Hope that helps!

Cindy

LINK
    paula @paula

Ooh! I class on crafts.com! I will have to check that out. Thanks for all the info and for Liesl’s link!

LINK
    paula @paula

I just thought I’d update everyone. I did take the class on Craftsy.com and feel like I have a better handle on knits! Thanks, Maggie for suggesting it! I’ve also taken the class by Natalie of Alabama Chanin and I am in love with her style. I can’t wait to incorporate her technique into some of the O+S patterns!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Paula, What kind of techniques are you talking about?

LINK
    paula @paula

She uses stencils and appliqué to embellish knit fabric. There are also beading and sequins! Check out her website: http://alabamachanin.com/diy-kits

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I was going to say something about the Craftsy class then noticed you mentioned that up above.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.