I just made up the After School top for my 2.5 year old son in 3T–love the pattern paper and how instructions are so detailed btw. I can barely get it over his head with both buttons in the front and the back opened up! I’m pretty sure I made it up properly b/c it looks just like the picture and the only change I made was to add length to the torso. Is it b/c the pattern was designed for girls (I dunno if toddler girls have smaller heads :p) or did anyone else have a similar problem? The 3T size was perfect for his shoulders and arms.
I haven’t tried this pattern yet, but have the found the necks of playdate and ice cream to be small for my daughter. She has an enourmous head (as only I can know, heehee) and I have adjusted those patterns to accommodate. Here’s how I altered the ice cream dress: http://queenoftheflies.blogspot.com/2011/09/back-to-school-big-heads-printable-and.html. Just glancing at the pattern, I think you may be able to do this even after the fact with just a little unpicking. You could cut the slit and finish it either with a facing as I did or with some bias. HTH
Thanks for the advice and comments. This was my first time with the pattern so I will make another one to make sure I had traced the pattern size correctly as suggested. Enjoyed your blog entry and helpful idea as well meleliza. Now that I think about it, his winter hats are sized for 4-5 year-olds, although I never thought his head was extra big or anything (that’s through mom-coloured eyes) haha
I don’t know where they get hat and mitten or shoe sizes. My oldest son always wore hats for like grown up kids his head was so huge! And his feet – nearly as big as mine and he’s only 6.
And, I recently traced off the facing of a sunday brunch jacket completely wrong and didn’t realize until I tried to attach it. The lines of the 24month size ovlapped with the 2t size in just such a way that it was easy to confuse them. Just those two sizes and just that piece. Was a pain to remake the entire facing with bound edges too! But my fault, really.
I re-made the top but moved the chest seam down 3/4 inch on the front and the back. Worked really well–easy to get over my son’s head but still kept with the pattern’s lovely design elements. I put 3 buttons on this time but I think it would look equally nice with 2 buttons, which will be more spaced apart than in the original design. I also added piping and made the facing in a contrast fabric which made the construction more straight-forward as you can identify the facing versus the fabric yoke easily. Here’s a photo of the finished top if you follow the link below. Happy sewing everyone! Wish there were more boy patterns 🙁