Oliver + S

Narrowing the trousers leg

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

Hi, there…
    I’m trying this pattern for the first time. I want to sew a pair of trousers as school uniform for my son.

I would like to make the trouser leg a little narrower. Where should I narrow it, the inseam, the outseam, or both equally?

Thank you for your help!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I would do both equally. Remember, even a little bit makes a difference, a 1/4″ off inner and outer will make a full 1″ reduction in circumference.
    They’re a relatively slim/straight leg fit anyway. Are you sure you want them narrower? Using a trace and Toile interfacing you can “tissue fit” the pattern. Just sew the one leg pattern pieces front and back and then try them on the kid, while they impersonate a flamingo!

LINK
    María @mariajsanroman

Thank you, Shelley! I’ll follow your advice and try a one leg-muslin on my flamingo…
    I’ve seen the pics of the trousers you sewed for your son and they do not look as wide legged as I have seen in other pictures, you are right. May be it is the effect it makes in shorter kids, looking baggy over the feet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.