Oliver + S

Messenger Bag – using a directional print on the back panel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Profile photo of It's me SophieIt's me Sophie @Itsmesophie

Hello lovelies,

I hope this makes sense. This is my first messenger bag and I’m using a directional print. To ensure the print is the right way up for the back and the front flap I’m thinking I need to cut the back flap piece into two and sew together.

Does this sound right? Has anyone done this and can give me some tips on where I should do this??

Thanks in advance?

LINK
    Profile photo of Lightning McStitchLightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Yep that’s what you’d need to do. Don’t forget to add seam allowance where you split the back panel and the front flap.

LINK
    Profile photo of Lightning McStitchLightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Oh, and as for where, I would do it so that the seam aligns with the notches where the side panels meet the back panel. Hope that helps.

LINK

Thanks Lightening. So if I do it where the side notches are I should be ok?

LINK

Just a follow up as I’ve been hesitant to start. Would I be better using a print with no direction. I’m wondering if that would work better?!?

LINK
    Profile photo of RobinRobin @Robin

Oliver and S Little Things to Sew messenger bag outside
    It will be cute anyway you lay it out. I agonized over how to use the fabric for the messenger bag. I ended up running the fabric in the wrong direction and covered up the ballerinas on the side panels. Still one of my favourite bags.

LINK
    Profile photo of juliamom2009juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

I used a directional print – first I cut the fabric sideways, then had to re-do it! I added a strip of the strap fabric across the top seam where it joined to kind of cover it up.

Here’s mine:

Messenger Bag from Little Things to Sew

LINK

Thank you both for sharing. They are gorgeous!! Ok I think I’ll do the directional print. I just need half an hour of quiet (with 2 boys) to work out the cutting. Wish me luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2016. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.