Oliver + S

messenger bag gussets

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    CarlaAbigail @CarlaAbigail

I was happily working along making my daughter a messenger bag. Until I got to the gussets, which left me confused. The pattern sheet says to cut two out of fabric A, so I did. But when it came time to attaching them to the side panel, it seems that instead of two identical pieces that they really ought to be mirror images of each other. After searching out errata information on the bag, I see nothing about it posted. But I am seeing lots of successful projects on flickr! Is there an error in the pattern? Did everyone just realize it and cut out what they needed? Or am I confused as to how to orient my identical pieces. Thanks for the help!

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’ve only made this bag once and in the larger size. What size are you making? I took my time making this bag and read the instructions several times before starting and whilst I was making it. I think I did get stuck at this point but figured it out through reading and rereading the instructions.

This is all I can suggest. Sorry to be of no further help – I made this bag over a year ago with the intention of making another but of course I haven’t gotten there yet!

Hope you work it out.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi there. I made exactly the same mistake! Usually when a pattern says cut two of something it means from a folded piece of fabric, thus you’ll always get mirror imaged pieces.

If you, like me, tried to be stingy with the fabric and cut them singly and didn’t think about face up or face down, you could end up with identical pieces. That won’t work.

You’ll need to go back and cut another in the mirror image of one of the one’s you’ve already got.

have fun. It’s totally worth it, I’m about to upload my images to Flickr….

LINK
    CarlaAbigail @CarlaAbigail

Oh I wasn’t trying to be stingy with fabric and I did read the instructions carefully. I just ended up with two identical gussets because I didn’t know to fold the fabric since it wasn’t specified. Thanks for confirming that I need mirror image pieces.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

If it helps, there are cutting layouts for the bags on page 124!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.