Oliver + S

messenger bag front flap

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I’m in the process of getting my pieces together to make this lovely bag in the large size. I want to do some applique on the front but I’m not sure how far up to take it before the flap turns into the back.

I’ve measured a line 2 inches from the middle notches. Would this be enough or can I reduce the amount from the notch and draw a new boundary line?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’m thinking of doing the same thing, and looking at your photostream on Flickr, you obviously got it right… So what was the answer to your own question? 2 inches from the edge?

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

In case anyone looks to this thread for the answer, I’ll answer my own question here…

Two inches was a bit too high. My bag would have looked better with the applique only 1″ or maybe 1.5″ at most above the raw edge of the front flap.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I’m a bit stuck on ‘assemble the front bag’ step 3 — I’m working with 3 layers of pocket (main, IF, lining) and only 1 layer of panel (main) — is that right? Does anybody have a tutorial or photos of this section? Sometimes it’s just easier for me to see real fabric than illustrations…

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Should your main panel also have interfacing and lining? My gut feeling says so , but I’ve only made one and I’m at work without LTTS [how unreasonable of me! :)] so I can’t check. But I think I had the lining and main fabric of the front panel basted before basting on my pockets, but i might be wrong.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Thank you Heidi! I’ll go have another read, maybe a night’s sleep and a cup of coffee will help.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

This seems right to me too, Sarvi. I can’t remember putting any pieces together that weren’t always the same thickness, but I’ll try to look at my book when I get home!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.