Oliver + S

Matching plaids or stripes

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Lindsay @Lindsay

Can any experienced sewers offer instructions on how to match plaids or stripes when cutting out pattern pieces? I am making the jumprope dress, and would like to try to match the stripes on the bodice with those on the placket. I have done this in the past, using my own free-hand, hodge-podge kind of method…the end result was successful, but I’d love to know if there is a more reliable method. Is there a tutorial you trust, for example?

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

When I’m trying to match plaids or stripes, I will usually cut one piece and then use the fabric piece as my ‘pattern piece’ for the 2nd one… that way I can align it to the plaids/stripes as necessary.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Old topic, but I’m also wondering about this — April, if you’re around — when you say you use the first piece as a ‘pattern piece’, do you mean you match up the stripes and then trace around the first piece you cut out? I’m moving some piece around on my fabric and trying to see how that would work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.