Oliver + S

Magnetic snaps in the messenger bag

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I’m contemplating my future messenger bag (recovering from pneumonia – contemplation likely to continue for a few days at least before any attempts at execution). I’m contemplating magnetic snaps. Has anyone done this? When I see bags with magnets in stores, they’re always hidden. When do you put them in? Where would you hide them? Tips and tricks greatly appreciated!

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

I would also love fabric suggestions. I can’t go out to the fabric store and shop for a few days, so I’m pretty much stuck in my house planning the bag that I hope will make all my co-workers jealous with no real idea of what’s out there in the quilting and home dec lines (before I got sick, it was a great summer for apparel).

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I made my one and only bag from denim which is sturdy and strong and excellent for maintaining snaps. I bound it with a print to add some excitement because I also had some applique on the front. You can attach the magnetic snaps before putting the two layers of the bag together (lining and outer). Just work out where you would like them and mark the spot on both the female and male sides (the snaps have two parts you need two spots that meet up together to maintain these parts). I use the magnetic snaps that are a little like a split pin at the back. They should have instructions as to how to attach them but I just make a small slit at the spots I want the parts to go, insert the parts and split the pin at the back which will hold the part in place.

The trick is to not place them too close to a seam!! Your machine will not like you for it!

But I do assure you that when you have them in and the outer and lining are together with the bag all made up you will only see them if you open the bag up to get something out of it.

When you attach the parts one side of the snap will be on the outer part of the bag where the pockets are and the other part of the snap will need to be placed on the lining part of the flap.

I hope this helps and I hope you feel well again soon.

Tamara

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh and one more thing, I would place a little square of fusible interfacing at the site you have your snap pieces just to sturdy the fabric and top any tearing that could happen.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I made it from a thickish piece from the thrift store, simular to thick drill. I made it as an experiment in fabric I wasn’t too worried about. I now use the bag every day and have had at least 2 requests for one like it! I have plans for one in bright blue cord.

LINK
    EllenMCM @EllenMCM

Did you keep the front flap length as drafted? I’m thinking about adding 2 inches to it to come closer to the bottom of the bag. Which might also be handy if I put my snaps in the corners of the flap. But I’m hesitant to mess with the proportions of Liesl’s patterns.

LINK

I haven’t changed the length, I added my press studs (non magnetic snaps) part way up the pockets

LINK

I haven’t changed the length, I added my press studs (non magnetic snaps) part way up the pockets. Here’s a photo so you can see it better, the snaps for the main flap are in the blue zigzag http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/8246902230/

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.