Oliver + S

Little Things Book boutique sewer program?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    eliseg @eliseg

Is it acceptable to sell items made from the patterns in the book, for example at a craft fair? I know Amy Karol has no restrictions on selling items from Bend the Rules Sewing, but asks that people attach a hang tag indicating that the pattern is in her book. Do you have any plans for something similar?

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

Thanks for asking the question. I know other people have been wondering this as well.

We’ve had several discussions lately about whether to cover items from the book under the terms of the Boutique Sewer Program.

What we’ve decided, ultimately, is that the cost of the license is set so that it’s appropriate for a full outfit (dress, pants/top, or skirt/top), but that it’s too high for most of the small accessory projects contained in the book. Asking boutique sewers to purchase a license for a pair of mittens or a bucket hat would not be fair for us to do. And we’re not going to be able to change the structure of the Boutique Sewer Program to accommodate projects of different types. So we’re not going to cover items from the book under the terms of the Boutique Sewer Program.

So while we hope that everyone who purchases the book makes lots and lots of items from it, we’re asking that items made from the patterns and instructions included in the book not be sold for profit.

Every author eventually has to make a decision about how to handle this issue. Many choose this approach. Some choose another option. We hope that you can respect our decision here. The book includes 20 wonderful projects for you to sew. Chances are that the cost you paid for your copy of the book works out to somewhere between 75 cents and $1.50 per pattern in the book. Please enjoy these projects for your personal use, realizing the value you’ve received here. If you are interested in making and selling children’s accessories, we would encourage you to use your own creativity to design your own unique items to bring to market.

I should add, though, that we are very happy to have you make make and donate items from both the book and our patterns for fundraisers or charity auctions. Our Boutique Sewer Program licenses and our request for the book only apply to cases where people make and sell items for personal profit.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

I wanted to give a big thank-you to Oliver + S for making their patterns available for fundraisers. I’m sewing up a pile of things for my daughter’s pre-school auction this fall. I’m having fun, and the money raised will go to a great place.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Oh, that makes me so happy! Thanks for the kind words, and I hope the auction is very successful for the school.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Funny that this topic should be raised again; I was just thinking that it would be a good idea to make a few Popover Sundresses in different sizes for the Charity Luncheon that I usually donate to that is held in Sydney, Australia in early November. I’ve made three in the last couple of weeks, and really enjoying how quick and easy they are to sew, and how well they stash-bust fabric pieces that are too small for other work. Would that be ok, Liesl? With Sydney’s humid summer climate, I know the style would be appropriate, and that grandmas are likely to buy them for Xmas gifts. Ditto with Sandbox trousers, too.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

PS: sorry, just realised that previous posts in this thread have answered my question. Thank you for your intriguing news email in the last day or so, Liesl. Can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.