Oliver + S

Lining the jacket

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • LINK
    enajybbil @enajybbil

I want to make the Sunday Brunch Jacket into a warm jacket. I was wondering if it would be possible to make one jacket out of a wool and another out of a cotton and do the whole inside out thing to make the cotton jacket the lining. Do you have any better suggestions for making it into a warmer coat?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

My only concern with this would be the bulkiness and how it would affect fit of the jacket. This particular pattern was designed to be more of a blazer-type jacket rather than a real coat, so I’m concerned about having enough room for clothing to fit underneath it once it’s lined. If you’ve made it already and it was roomy enough, then I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Do you want it to be completely reversible?

LINK
    enajybbil @enajybbil

No, reversibility is not a concern at all. Do you think that going up a size and lining the whole body but not the sleeves would work? Or maybe just lining the bodice and not the “swing” part of the jacket (other than what the patterns has you line to begin with)? OR…could it be made in a melton wool and lined with a quilting cotton WITHOUT modifying anything?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’ll be curious to see if this works! Like I said, the pattern itself is designed to fit closer to the body, so I really can’t way how it will fit as a warmer jacket, but I’d love to find out if you want to try it.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Ladies, any luck with this? I am making a coat in velveteen and wanted to line it with china silk (it’s an AMH fabric and that’s the lining she recommends, plus I have a piece in the right color — many thanks to crozette from the flickr group for the link to the AMH blog post). Any suggestions on the order of operations? I was thinking of doing the sleeves like the school days , but for some reason am having trouble envisioning how the collar, etc would all work. My brain is really not working in 3D this week.

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

I just did this last year for Sarah, it came out great. Here is a link to it on flicker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mama_knowles03/8414413931/in/photostream

and the inside

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mama_knowles03/6319899683/in/set-72157629131948728

I made her’s all in fleece but it would work great on any fabric I think.

~Sharon~

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh wonderful, thank you!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Do you happen to recall how you did the sleeves?

LINK
    Mama_Knowles @Mama_Knowles

For her’s I pressed the fleece under 1″ then machine stitched the lining to the main, but the lining was the same fabric as the main fabric. If I was to use different fabric from the lining to the main fabric I would make the sleeves finish just as the School Days coat though.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I’m planning to make this in a wool suiting. I want to line it because of itchiness. I was planning to line the bodice, sleeves and collar. Has anyone else done this since this post?

Thanks.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I did wind up making a fully lined coat, velveteen with silk lining. It was not my most successful project. The slippery silk was totally above my skill level to sew, and the velveteen was super thick at the seams and frayed like crazy.

Wool suiting will be a substantially better choice, I’m making one in wool right now with lawn facings (not Liberty, something thicker, but still lighter than quilting) but am not making a full lining. What will you use to line it? I am pretty sure that even one of the lighter, silkier quilting cottons (I’m thinking of CLoud 9’s higher-end base cloth, I forget the name for it) would work pretty well. I’m making a size 4 and my kid is average to a little tall and turns 4 in a few months, so it’ll be just a touch roomy.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I had thought of using a lightweight quilting cotton, but my local fabric shop has polyester lining that they claim is easy to sew. It would add very little bulk, but I have no experience sewing polyester. (Well, I did alter a bridesmaid’s dress once, but that was a sewing emergency.)

I have a slim 6 year old. I was planning to do the 6. Once she outgrows it, her little sister can inherit it. I could do the 7 with a shortened sleeve, but she is still swimming in the school days jacket. Hmm…

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

The School Days is a very different fit — it’s designed to go over layers of clothes, I believe — but if you can manage the poly that should be easier for slipping the jacket on and off. Let us know how it works out!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I just found this post about altering pattern pieces to make a lining. I thought it might be helpful for others. I’ll see how it goes.

http://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/2010/10/sewaholic-tutorial-drafting-jacket.html

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.