Oliver + S

lining sailboat pants

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Judy G @Judy G

I am making these pants as part of a 1940’s navy sailor suit. I’m using a very lightweight Italian wool for both top (another pattern) and pants. Can anyone give me an idea on how to line the pants in this pattern? I’m using a lightweight cotton batiste for lining.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Has anybody figured this out? I’ll be honest — I like lining things because I’m lousy at finishing seams.

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

I have lined these, and yes, batiste works very well. I used the pants pattern to cut the lining, and at the hem/cuff edge I cut the lining 1″ shorter. Stitch the pants together at all seams (legs, inseam etc) and do this also for your lining pants. Next, lay the pants down wrong side out and front side up; lay the lining pants down also wrong side out, front side up, and with the hem edges touching the hem edges of the pants.

For each leg, pin just the hem edge of the pants to the hem edge of the lining pants right sides together matching seams–it will look weird–poke the lining down inside just enough to be able to stich each hem edge with a 1/2″ seam allowance. Now turn the pants right side out pushing the lining to the inside, and then pull the lining waistband edge up to meet the pants waistband edge and pin along waistband edge matching seams–at the hem edge now, the pants fabric will be drawn to the inside 1″.

I’ll see if I can’t find some pictures of this process on-line, or maybe someone else could write this out more clearly! I drew my self pictures on my pattern instructions so I wouldn’t forget how I did it 🙂

I would suggest nude/ivory batiste to line the wool–also consider Spechler-Vogel imperial batiste which has a touch of poly in it which will give the wool more movement. (this batiste is available through farmhouse fabrics, though it may be available else where, too.)

can’t wait to see pictures of your project! sounds delightful!

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

bump for whitfieldsx5.

LINK
    scampbell712 @scampbell712

i’m reading through this hoping to grasp how to accomplish a lining in these cute little pants.

i am a little worried about how a lining will change the waist. i’ve never lined anything before but will have to with the fabric i am using.

lizabeth–you don’t happen to have pictures of your pants on flickr that you can link me to?

thanks for your words of advice–fingers crossed maybe i won’t screw these up!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.