Oliver + S

Lining Book Report skirt portion?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Hi ladies, I have a very light wool with a sort of open weave I’d like to use for the skirt and when I made the Music Box jumper, I underlined (Is that the right term?) — treated two fabrics as one. That jumper has no pockets, though, and I am wondering what the best method is for handling that. Any thoughts?

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I can imagine it may be a little tricky to manipulate up where the pockets are if you wanted to enclose them within the lining. But if you attached the king with the outer together for the bottom panel and then attached the top to the bottom as tubes, it could work. Unless of course I am imagining it wrong.

Tamara

LINK
    Jane @jesims

Great question. I have been working through in my mind how to line the skirt just for a nicer finish. I hope someone has some suggestions.

Jane

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Yeah, where it gets tricky, I think, is that you could be lining for a clean finish inside, wanting a smooth waist seam, or just wanting a lined skirt so wool won’t catch on tights, or wanting to underline an open-weave wool — three different thing and each might call for a different approach, I’m not sure…

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58801344@N06/8177471908/in/photostream

To line the skirt like the dress on the right, I assembled the dress as instructed then made a second skirt out of lining material, then treated it as though it were a hem facing. I pressed the top of the “facing” 1/4″ under, pinned then stitched for the outside just above the original stitching line so the pockets would be free. You can see the stitching but I used a contrasting thread to coordinate with the top stitching elsewhere. For the center dress I underlined the skirt and enclosed the pockets but I don’t remember how I did it. I think it was like doing a yoke lining but used a different seam allowance to hide the stitching. I liked how the first dressed turn out more. http://www.flickr.com/photos/58801344@N06/8404369612/in/photostream

You could also just hand stitch the lining so nothing would show on the front.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I would have thought that is what you did do with the centre one – hand stitch the lining in I mean. I like all three ways of finishing this.

LINK
    Jillls @Jillls

I meant to say that I preferred the finish of the dress on the right. None of the dresses were hand stitched but that would work well with “facing” method.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Wow, this is precisely what I needed, totally perfect, thank you so much!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.