Oliver + S

Lengthening the Music Class Skirt (side panels)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Hi, Liesl et al ~

I looked over the side panels of the Music Class skirt and am wondering at which place/notch would be best to splice and add length while still accommodating the innovative side-pocket? My SweetPea is 48 inches tall and the skirt length is *just* perfect above the knee if I make it with a hem facing (1/8th inch seam) rather than a turned hem which ends up a tad short (for the size 6). Granted, I used some ABC Twill Tape for a hem facing which is very smartly cute for a school uniform, but the blind-hemming by hand is a little tedious for my short window to sew a few of these before she starts school. Your standard machine-hem instruction would be a welcome treat for my eyes! 😉

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

April, to keep that pattern looking proportional, you might want to add length in several different places. Decide how much total length you want to add, and put half the total additional length near the bottom of the side panel and half in the pleated insert. I think that would be the easiest method. If you add length in the middle of the side panel it will affect the pocket, and that wouldn’t be much fun to fix. Add the total length to the center panel, and then you’ll be all set!

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Brilliant! Thanks, Liesl!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.