Oliver + S

Invisible Zipper

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • LINK
    emstone @emstone

Hi Ladies,

I don’t post very much but I need some help and my husband is not going to be able to do it for me on this one. I am thinking about ordering some taffeta fabric to make my girls view B of the School Photo dress and wanted to know if I need to have an invisible zipper foot for the dress? It does not list it on the notions needed section but I don’t want to start this and then get stuck without a foot. Also, these are going to be for Christmas and some special family pictures around the Holiday. Would a dark red or navy blue go better. I was thinking navy blue would be easier to match with the other adults but I think the red would be more festive. What do you all think?

Thanks for helping out.

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

I don’t know about the zipper foot as I have never worked with this pattern but I do love the thought of girls in red dresses for Christmas. I am planning on making a red and white dress for Christmas for my cousin’s daughter Lucy and I think red is definitely more festive 🙂

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

I have not sewed this particular dress before, but I have sewed in literally hundreds of invisible zippers and don’t use a zipper foot. In fact, I bought a zipper foot a couple weeks ago just to try and wish I would’ve saved my money, it makes me want to say bad words! But, this has only been my experience, others may have a different opinion. Perhaps the zipper foot I used was just not designed very well, I couldn’t sew close enough to the teeth and the zipper ended up being not very invisible.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

I’ve sewn in a few and only once have I used my invisible zipper foot (because I recently got it). I didn’t like using my regular zipper foot to sew in the invisible zipper, but I didn’t have any problems slowly and carefully using my straight stitch foot. Just adjust the needle position, use pins and it should work fine. Good luck; can’t wait to see!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

For choosing the right fabric for the photos,wrap the child in the colour and take a snap and compare which will look better on her complexion.

I do not have an invisible zipper foot but find them quite simple to put in. My clever friend Johanna says”Remember,right sides together,right side of zip to right side of fabric” and I find that very helpful. The instructions are excellent in this pattern,worth purchasing just for the instructions.

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

It isn’t imperative to have an invisible zipper foot to actually put one in. A normal zipper foot will do the job just as well. I use the invisible zipper foot because my machine has one already but if it didn’t I’d just use the ordinary zipper foot.

What colours do your girls normally dress in? Do they suit red? A nice royal blue would bring out blue eyes and blonde hair if they have them and still looks festive. I think red sounds lovely and will add colour and as you say a festive feel.

Good luck with the dresses. It is a terrific pattern.

LINK
    emstone @emstone

Thanks so much for the great help ladies. I ordered the navy blue taffeta for the girls dresses and I am just waiting on the fabric to come in so I can start on them. Both my girls are fair skinned and have light hair and eyes so I think the blue will really pop on them. I am not picking up a invisible zipper foot and hopefully will be able to get them in without too many bad words! I do have a skirt for me cut out that needs an invisible zipper too so I may have to practice on that. It had been put on the back burner once I noticed the invisible zipper part but I hope that this will help motivate me to get it finished. I will post to the flickr pool when I get them done.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I have tried at 3 stores and have been unable to find a 16 inch invisible zipper for the size 6 School Photo dress. I bought a 22 inch zipper (the only length they had that was longer than 16 inches and would match the fabric)- the clerk said I could cut it off. I have never put in a zipper. Should I order the correct length on line or should I try cutting the one I have?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I purchased a bulk lot of zippers that are on the long side. I just snip them off to the length required sew across the bottom.

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

I would purchase a larger zipper and shorten it to the size you need. It might be easiest for you to do a Google search on “how to shorten a zipper”. You will get lots of great information on how to do this. Read and watch several video and decide what you think will work best for you.

Regarding invisible zipper feet, I use one that is made for my machine. I know people who do it with their straight stitch, so it can be done, but I really like my foot as it makes the process very quick! I know some people/experts say to iron out the coils first, I do not recommend it. If you go slowly and use your fingers, you can uncoil as you stitch, doing a beautiful job! When using even a low iron, you run the risk of damaging the teeth and then you will have a zipper break on you fairly quickly…after putting in the work to install the zipper.

Carol

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I recommend tacking the zipper to the fabric if you are not going to use an invisible zipper foot. It makes it so much easier to get the position right and you don’t run the risk of having to unpick stitching that is rather tricky to get out.

I press the teeth away and have never had a problem – the trick is to not leave it on too long and I put it on a polyester setting. You could finger press them also if you don’t feel the iron will do it justice. You could do this as you are tacking the zipper to the fabric.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I use a regular zipper foot and always press the teeth away–I think that’s the real trick to successful invisible zipper insertion. I would suggest hand basting before stitching, but otherwise it’s not hard at all! I promise.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I followed Liesl’s instructions religiously and inserted the invisible zipper the first time flawlessly. It is invisible. It was a very rewarding experience! I love, love, love the School Photo pattern.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.