Oliver + S

New here? Introduce yourself!

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 377 total)
  • LINK
    Deepa @DeepaThomas

Hello to all the wonderful ladies in this group, and as far as I can detect, the only man, the brilliant Todd who made this forum possible. I am one of a remarkably tiny clan , that of Moms in India Who Sew Oliver and S Patterns For Their Children ! I know of one other member , Elephantinthestudy, in this group. To tell the truth, I only recently joined the clan myself ,when my sister bought me the Afterschool, Seashore and Sketchbook patterns last month. I sewed up the Seashore sundress twice and straightaway realised why O & S patterns cost more: they are that good ! ( I have sewn the free patterns on the website : the halter top, the hat and the sundress )
    A little more about myself : I have been sewing for myself since I was in school, mostly skirts and tops as a teenager and then kurta-pyjamas (loose fitting tunic and pant ensemble) . Now that I have 3 kids, sewing is a lot more varied and fun. I was already sewing a lot of shirts for the boys in the family( that’s including dad) when the arrival of baby girl completely changed the sewing scene in our house. The boys haven’t said anything yet, but I’m sure they’ll soon start complaining , because the 2 year old has currently the largest wardrobe of all !
    I would like to say that this forum and Flickr group are marvellous and a great source of inspiration . I am a great admirer of Mcholley1 ‘s shirts for her little boy , and the fabulous Nicole and her blog are well …fabulous ! That’s just to name a couple. All the ladies on this forum are amazing , with their creativity and generosity in sharing their knowledge. Glad to be a part of it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Deepa, you are very welcome. I have admired your very snappy sons and your dear little girl in the Flickr pool.

Thank you for your kind comments, you have made my evening.

How lovely to have new people.

LINK
    Deepa @DeepaThomas

Thank you for the kind welcome, Nicole. As far as I’m concerned, you’re Superwoman ! The sewing and blogging you do , not to mention all the care and attention that 6 children need
    .. And I ‘m certain you don’t have a magic wand that you wave to get the household work done either.

LINK
    Rhythm @rhythmtyagi

Hello everyone. Deepa, make that three members from India! I am a newbie sewist who fell in love with Oliver and s. I have a two year old daughter for whom I love to sew. About myself- I have a master’s degree in engineering in computer science and worked as a software developer for ten years. After my daughter was born, my husband and I took an early retirement and slowed down our lives. We moved to a small town in India. I pursue my hobbies full time now along with enjoying life my daughter!

Attachments:
    LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Aww @Deepa, you are a sweetheart!

Welcome @Rhythm, I get so excited to see new people post here. How wonderful to be able to spend such a lot of time with your daughter.
    (And sewing, that is second best)

LINK
    Rhythm @rhythmtyagi

Thanks a lot Nicole! I love your blog!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Welcome, and what a charming photo of your family. I hope our India members will write about the types of local fabrics and supplies they use, it would be fascinating!

LINK
    Rhythm @rhythmtyagi

Thank you for the warm welcome! We do get a lot of interesting fabric here. I will try to post information on any interesting stuff I come across. In fact added a picture in the flickr pool yesterday of an onstage tutu skirt in ivory net fabric with brasso work – beautiful fabric!

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

@Rhythm, I would also love to hear any of your meal ideas on this thread http://oliverands.com/community/forums/topic/whats-for-tea-today-mum !

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

@dubhels200, oh yes.

Yes please @Rhythm.

LINK
    Renee @Renee

Hi, my name is Renee and I have been a long-time lurker. I decided to introduce myself finally because I have learnt so much from these forums. As a teenager, my mum taught me how to use my grandmother’s treadle sewing machine, which I mainly used to make straight-sided bags. Clothes sewing mainly started while on maternity leave about 5 years ago when I was looking for non-pink, non-sparkly nor frilly little girl’s clothes. I first found out about Oliverands through a blog now long forgotten and I bought ‘Little Things to Sew’. The bucket hat was the first pattern sewn. I have made a few more things since then and have been pretty impressed with how easy the instructions are to follow and how nicely the clothes all come out. I have just moved from Cairns, Australia to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (hello, anyone here?) with my husband, daughter 5 and son 2.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Hi Renee, pleased to ‘meet’ you!
    🙂

I completely agree about the lack of stylish little girls clothing in the RTW market. I am have a blast dressing my littlest two girls (the older ones are nice too but the little ones still wear whatever I like).

I also agree that the patterns are failsafe, which is so nice when we are all far too busy to waste precious sewing time on a no go garment.

Is the treadle still your machine of choice?

LINK
    Renee @Renee

@Nicole- I’d love to still be sewing on the treadle (its motion is so soothing), but sadly I haven’t lived with one for more than 20 years. I’m now on a Bernette.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I have an old treadle in my sitting room, I keep a block of wood under the foot pedal to stop the babies pinching their fingers. 🙂

LINK
    Renee @Renee

And pinch them they would! I remember being very intrigued by them as a littlie.

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.