Oliver + S

Insulating the bento box carrier

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    colomom @colomom

The bento box carrier is one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen and I’ve since rushed out to our local Sanrio and in a splurge, well now my 2 children have 3 bento boxes between them (they were half off!) and I’m excited to get started sewing the carrier. My only question is, is there a way to add insulation of some kind when sewing? I notice that some bento kits have an insulated bag but I don’t want to use a store-bought bag when I can sew something much cuter up. I’m a newer sewer and not experienced with this type of thing. I’m not sure how necessary insulation is to bento meals but I just thought I’d ask.

LINK
    sewinginthecity @sewinginthecity

That’s a great idea. I just finished mine and I love it. I’m sure Liesl will chime in, but I think if you can find a thin insulating fabric, you could put it in the gussets and the center inside lining.

LINK
    Rpankow @excytin

I wonder if Insulbrite would work for you in this case. I used some of it to make my mother a water bottle carrier so it would help the bottle stay cool. It’s an insulation that has some type of metal/foil around the batting. It’s used for hot pads and such. It’s fairly thin and might do the trick. Good luck!

-Rebecca

LINK
    colomom @colomom

Awesome. Insul-Bright says that it’s perfect for “insulated soft lunch carriers.” Thanks guys!

LINK
    Julianna Swanson Peacock @spunkypeacock

Could you please suggest a bento box that fits inside the carrier? I’m thinking about purchasing the book – but want to research how much a bento box costs…….not sure which one is good for the carrier. Thanks!

LINK
    Robin @Robin

I think you can spend as much as you want on a bento box. I’ve bought them at Daiso for a couple of Canadian dollars. There are some beautiful ones for $50.00 at one of the shops near us that sell Japanese pottery.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Spunkypeacock the book is more than worth the cost, even just for one pattern. I originally bought it for the explorer vest and I have now made seven of the 20 projects, five of the projects I have made multiple times (including 8 explorer vests with 3 more in the planning). I have a number of other sewing books and this is the only one I have used and as you can see I’ve used it a lot. I haven’t made the bento box carrier, mainly because I don’t have one and am not sure where to get one here. Leisl has put together a fantastic book.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.