Oliver + S

Inseams don't match

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Heidi @heidirupp

I am making soho shorts, size 12 from the digital pattern and my inseams don’t match. The difference is about an inch. I double checked the pattern and I also have about an inch difference.

How can I fix this as I don’t have any extra material but also can’t recut with a pattern that doesn’t match up either.

Thanks!

LINK
    Heidi @heidirupp

With material, matched at crotch.

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Heidi.
    LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Oh Heidi, how frustrating, and how very odd….
    I don’t have the digital pattern but have just got my paper pattern out to check:
    the length of the inseam on the pattern piece from the crotch edge to the hem edge is 18cm / 7&1/8″ on both the front and back shorts and this is true for all sizes.
    So, it’s not the case that you’ve accidentally traced the wrong size. Since you’re out by exactly 1″ I suspect you must have overlapped the grid lines by one extra when assembling the pattern?
    Something looks very wrong about your back pattern piece, the one on the top. The distance from the crotch edge to the lengthen/shorten line should be similar to the same distance on the front pattern piece – about 1&3/8″
    And what’s happened to the notch that should be marked on the back pattern piece inseam? It should be the same distance up the inseam from the hem edge as it is on the front pattern piece.
    I think the problem must be in the assembly of this back pattern piece.
    Measure your pattern piece and fabric. It should be 18cm / 7&1/8″
    I suspect your front shorts is correct but the back is 1″ too short. You can still make it work, you’ll just have to trim 1″ off the hem edge of the front shorts – it’s ok the pattern is kind of square and will allow that, but you’ll end up with shorts that are 1″ shorter than the intended length.
    Good luck,
    Shelley

LINK
    Heidi @heidirupp

I was about to reprint the pattern to see if I could figure what went wrong when took a look thru the scraps and found 2 missing pattern pieces!!!

Thanks for your help. Now I hope I have enough scrap that I can add it to the back piece and keep sewing!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Thank goodness you spotted that as it looks like you would have been missing quite a bit of width too, and had a very tight crotch seam! (Eek). Hope you can piece the fabric and make it work.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.