Oliver + S

how was the fit?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Those of you who have sewn this pattern, how was the fit in the chest? Too slim? Just right?

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Snuggish!(Is that a word)but it looked good on!

Claire suggested a side zip and I am going to try that.

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

Once on, I think the fit is fine. However, getting the dress on and off isn’t always the easiest. My almost 6 year old needs help taking the dress off and she’s been self dressing/undressing for years.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I should elaborate!

View A was snug to put on in the baby sizes,but fit beautifully once on. I am still squeezing my 2 year old into the size 12-18 mnths as she does not mind things being tugged over her head. So maybe that was a head issue(she has a BIG head)rather than chest?

My 11 year old twins still fit in the size 8 size range by their measurements,the bodice is fitted across the chest but not tight and looks very nice on. They have no issue getting it over their heads.

I hope that is a better answer.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Ok, thanks very much! This is very helpful. (I’m working on fall pattern, if you’re wondering why I asked…)

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I made both views, and the fit on was perfect- my daughter is in the 25% for weight and 50% for height if that gives you an idea of her proportions, but view A was a tight fit getting it on. She needed help getting it down over her head, mostly because she couldn’t get her shoulders though it without some help. View B was a bit easier, mostly because it has some ease in the bodice because of the A line shape.

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

I made view B in a size 2 for a 22 month old, she is tall and thin, and it was snug going over the shoulders, but once it was on, it fit well. At this age she doesn’t like any clothing that doesn’t go on smoothly.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Oh Liesl,how exciting!

If you need some big boys measurements I am happy to help.

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

I found the fit ‘just right’ for both my girls – size 8 for Rosie (9.5) & size 2 for Lucy (2.5) – they are both very skinny though. The dresses need to be put on ‘all at once’ (arms and heads together) but are perfect once on. Lucy wore hers the other day (to Calico & Ivy!!) and it’s still perfect in terms of fit 5 months after I made it.

LINK
    sayiamyou @maraya

Once on, I thought the dress fit just fine and we liked the way it looked. This is the only pattern I think where we had to put arms in first, then lift up for over the head putting-on. It was definitely too tight a squeeze for head first, then arms.

LINK
    Deb @Mynorth

I found View B was easier to get on than View A. If I make View A again, I’d increased the length of the placket and that perhaps might make getting it on easier. However once on, both dresses were a good fit. Size accurate. Oh, and cute too!!

LINK
    TriMama @TriMama

My daughter is 4 and is of normal build (not skinny) and the fit is fine. However, getting it on and off is a challenge. As such, she doesn’t like to wear the view A dress I made. Especially since I put star shaped buttons on the placket and the first time I took it off her I accidentally scratched her arm with the buttons. She’s happier to wear view B because it’s got more ease. And I made sure to use round buttons!

I love the pattern and have plans to make a sleeveless version for summer, but I will definitely be sizing up and putting in a long zipper. If I can, I will probably make sure the zipper extends down into the skirt since I find the waist is a bit snug. Although I know that’s because she still has a bit of a pot belly.

Liesl – If you’re making a similar pattern for fall, can you please put in a nice long back zip? Pretty please.

LINK
    cfairbrother @cfairbrother

The fit was just right for the one I made (size 8). This was for a very tall and slim girl, though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30045150@N08/4254957308/in/set-72157623410153005/

LINK
    homefire @homefire

I found the fit to be perfect but both of my girls are very slender (size 24m for my 2 1/2 yo and a 3t lengthened for my 6 yo). A side zip sounds like a fantastic idea, I’ll have to give it a try.

LINK
    bren5kids @bren5kids

The fit is perfect on my average size 3 and 5 yr old girls, getting it on is not quite as easy as a dress that opens past the waist, but that doesn’t deter me from making it 🙂 I can imagine it would be a bit of a struggle on a chubby child.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.