Oliver + S

how was the fit?

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I measured my girl for this last night and I was wondering if I could toss some ideas with you.

My girl was 27″ in the chest and this dress finished measurements are supposed to be 30½” (I’m making View A). Considering what the fit is do you think it will fit her or should I just resign myself to make alterations?

If so – would it be wiser to widen it over the shoulders where I won’t interfere with the collar or the sleeves?

The extra width can be added to the skirt, but since it is a gathered thing I don’t think it’s strictly necessary to add there.

I am also considering putting in an invisible zipper in the side just under the arm. Would I have to add some facing pieces to it on the inside to make it look neat and prevent it from being too scratchy? And also, would you take the zipper down into the skirt as well?

I do plan on making a muslin I just thought I’d ask this brain trust for ideas.

(I have seen the tutorial for lengthening and shortening but it doesn’t really cover this part …)

LINK
    Violaisabelle @Violaisabelle

Based on the charts, this dress is designed to have a 4″ ease in the chest for size 8. Your daughter’s chest measurement is 1/2″ larger then the size 8. Based on your child’s figure, you might only need to add a wee bit in width and length, or more, depending on her shape. If she’s fairly average or even thin, I would simply add in 1/8″-1/4″to my side seams, about 1/4″ to my shoulder seam and sleeve and possibly another 1/2″ or so at the waist/skirt seam, depending on her height. By adding in the 1/8″-1/4″ to the side seams, you will have added in 1/2″ -1″ in her chest area, putting you at and just above the ease for size 8.

Since you will be doing a muslin, you can check the fit to see if you will need the zipper at the side. If you do need the zipper, you will want to decide the type of zipper finish you want, such as invisible, lapped, centered, etc. that will of course, determine how you finish off that area.

I have not used this pattern, but I have it in my hands. I am hoping to use in the next month or so.

Have fun sewing and I would love to hear how this works for you.

By the way, I don’t know if you have ever seen these instructions, but here is a bit of information on how to size up/down patterns. http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/

Carol

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

Thank you for the link Carol. It was a bit text heavy so I haven’t read it all, but it looks like a great resource.

I made a toile for her of a regular unaltered size 8 – just to have a place to start, and of course it didn’t fit. It was too tight around the chest and tummy. So – I’ll have to dig in and get it altered a bit. *sigh*

It wasn’t a complete loss though as I t showed that I really should lengthen the bodice slightly for her as well.

Good thing though – I really rocked on that placket! It looks great and I’m thrilled to bits with how easy it was (of course as I followed Liesl’s directions) and how great it looks.

So – back to work.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.