Oliver + S

How to prevent top of dress bodice from curling forward

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

When I sew a girls dress with a woven cotton fabric sometimes the top of the lined bodice curls forward it does not stand up straight. It happened with a dress with a v notch at the top of the bodice. I cut down into the v of notch, trimmed the sides of the v then turned and press well after sewing. I am making a dress with a heart shape at the top of the bodice now and I’m concerned it may curl forward too. I will clip the curves. Does this happen only with v notches? Do you always trim the 1/2″ seam down to 1/4″ on the top of all bodices? I hesitate to use iron on interfacing because sometimes it ripples under the fabric. Thank you I appreciate your advice.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Kim.
    LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

It sounds to me like your machine tension might not be even or the fabric is somehow getting pulled tight as you sew it. If the outer fabric is getting pulled, or if it’s being push along with the presser foot as you sew, that would result in a curling edge. Maybe try reducing the amount of pressure your presser foot is putting on your fabric (if you can) or check your tension to be sure it’s balanced.

With regard to your interfacing, here are a few suggestions:
    Try handwashing it in warm water (line dry) before using to prevent shrinkage.
    Also: press, don’t iron. In other words, press the interfacing straight down (the weight of your iron is enough pressure) using some steam. Then lift your iron before putting it back down. Don’t slide the iron or it might stretch/shift the interfacing to cause bubbling. Once it’s applied you shouldn’t have problems with it. If you do, you might want to try a different brand/quality.
    I hope that helps!

LINK
    Kim @kmac0107

Thank you I will try your suggestions on the bodice.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.