Oliver + S

How to add a warm lining (flannel) to pants?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

Hello! Has anyone added a lining to any of the O & S pants? It’s just so cold this Winter, I need to line with flannel. I’m deciding between an interlining or lining, but either way…has anyone done it? Did you need to size-out (width) because of the extra thickness?

My choices are the Sailboat pants (lengthened), After-School Pants or Sandbox Pants. For my near-3 year old girl (size 12-18 M width, 2 T inseam), I’m thinking of the AS Pants, though I’ve not yet tried them. Any thoughts or tips?

LINK
    beachmom @beachmom

I made 2 pairs of lined Sandbox Pants for my nephews as Christmas gifts. http://www.flickr.com/photos/27858004@N05/8277207319/ There’s a link in the picture description to my blog where I showed how I did it. It’s really easy…you’re basically making a flannel pair of pants minus the pockets and putting them inside the main pants wrong sides together. I din’t size up as the flannel was pretty thin and from the pictures my sister-in-law sent, they looked like they fit fine.

I don’t have the After School pattern so I’m no help there!

Cindy

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

Thank you! The pics are wonderful!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I’ve done exactly as Beachmom advised (although with another pattern brand which looks very similar to sketchbook) and the only problem I had was the added weight. I used a cotton drill and some rib knit for the lining and trying to keep the pants up on my hipless, skinny four year old has been tricky to say the least.

It’s easy to do though, and saves on finishing seam allowances. Yay!

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I have made simple lined baby pants. I think you might want to add a tiny bit of extra width to keep the flannel from wrinkling too much. For the baby pants I added about a half inch to the main fabric. I love a flannel lining.

LINK
    mkhs @mkhs

Flannel lined pants are a staple here! I never bother sizing up. I do exactly as described above. Some tips: keep waistband facings lightweight, only attach lining at waist so you can pull the flannel part inside out when you dry them (to speed drying time), shorten lining at least 1/2″ at bottom hem. I like to stick to wovens for the lining, I’ve always had trouble mixing woven & knit.

LINK
    rebecca @rebecca

Thank you, very good points! To dry faster by pulling the flannel out is a brilliant idea. Thank you!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.