Oliver + S

How roomy is Birthday Party Dress?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I’ve just ordered the Bday Party Dress in size 4-8. I was inspired by the feature in the most recent issue of Sew Beautiful that featured O+S Patterns in exotic fabrics. I loved the tweed version of this frock. Can anybody tell me how comfortable a tee-shirt or blouse fits underneath this frock/pinafore?

Every news report down under is featuring Hurricane Sandy, and its likelihood of connecting with several cold fronts. Hope everyone on the forum likely to be affected stays safe, dry and doesn’t sustain too much damage to their homes, cars etc. Be thinking of you all.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I made a lightweight jersey knit t-shirt to go under a linen Birthday Party Dress. It looks cute. The neck is a simple round bias bound design- without gathers. I don’t think a blouse with a collar would look good. The tweed dress looks so cute. My dress is not lined. The fit might change with lining.

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Needlewoman, I too ordered that pattern based on the beautiful tweed! 🙂

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

I have this pattern in both sizes but haven’t yet made it. I even saw a similar version in a previous issue of Ottobre design, fitting girls up to 170cm tall. I would think it would be true to the measurements and that the pleats at the front would provide room to move.

The tweed sounds lovely.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I made it from quilting cotton and it still fits well where an Apple Picking dress in silk in the same size is now a bit short and snug. Different materials, though, so there’s that. I think it would look good as Jennifer describes, with something very simple underneath that doesn’t compete with the beautiful pleats and bow/tab.

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

Thank you all of you for your generous and prompt responses – sounds like some of us are drawn to similar magazines. I agree with you all that something simple underneath would work best. It’s just that I know that when I make this dress for my friend’s children, 9 times out of 10, they’ll stick something else under it, and I’d hate to find out that the fit was too tight. This morning as I was ironing a friend’s load, I was thinking that contrasting fabric for the pleated section would look lovely- especially if the rest of the dress is made from corduroy. I really love the bow alternative as I always get nervous abt topstitching a shaped piece like the tab.

Thanks again; I’ll be sure to post when I’ve made it up. The two book report dresses are coming along slowly – more from lack of time than difficulty with pattern.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.