Oliver + S

How do you lock a serged seam?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I have had my serger for over a year now, and I’ve tried a few different methods – including tying the threads together, or going to my seiwng machine and zigzagging over the edge of the serged seam. None of them seem to work well for me – the serged ends are constantly unraveling after an item goes in the wash. What am I doing wrong?

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

I pull the tails back along the seam and then zigzag them to the bottom of the serged seam. I only do this if the seam is not secured by another seam. I’ll see if I can get a picture for you

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

If you leave a long-ish tail you can thread a blunt needle with a big eye with it and work it back through the serged seam about half an inch to three quarters inch then cut it off.

However – I’m bad at doing that and tend to just cut it off. At least when I’m sewing over that seam again later.

LINK
    lattemama @lattemama

I posted on my blog with pictures in case I was unclear.

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I knot the overlocking threads with the needle threads. If that comes open, how about a drop of fray check on the knot? I like a quick solution.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.