Oliver + S

How can I adjust the sleeves to fit larger arms?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

A while ago I made a puppet show dress that was worn and well loved by my friend’s daughter. She has now outgrown the dress and I asked her mother for her measurements so I could make her a Family Reunion Dress. Her mother gave me her measurements which put her in size 5 but she also told me that the first thing that was too small on her other dress were the arms. So, I am planning on making her a size 5 Family Reunion Dress (she is only 4 and it will grow with her a little) but how should I go about giving the arms a little bit more growing room? Use a size 6 sleeve and just gather more at the top? Thanks for your help!

Emily

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

My daughter went through a chunky arm stage around age 2-6 before thinning out quite a bit and what I used to do was split the sleeve pattern down the centre and open it out a bit to accomodate for the width of her top arm. I would still use the sleeve pattern size relevant to the dress size you are making as it will match the armscye better. The extra width could then just be included in the gathering.

This is what I would do but someone else may have another more inviting suggestion.

Tamara

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

Oooh, that is a really good idea! Since I don’t have her to measure I may just guess at the addition, also because I am sure the size 5 sleeve will fit her at first as she is not even four yet! We shall see I may yet ask her mom to measure her arm and make sure! Thanks for the advice Tamara!

Emily

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Glad I could help. You will show us won’t you?

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

of course!

LINK
    mle bb @mle bb

the dress is all finished! picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36064249@N03/7919334102/in/photostream

sleeve detail: http://www.flickr.com/photos/36064249@N03/7919332384/in/photostream/

thank you ladies for your help, the little girls is over the moon about her new dress!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.