Oliver + S

Home dec velvet question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

I scored a floor-to-ceiling velveteen curtain panel at a thrift store for $4 while in the U.S. – it’s about 3 yards of fabric. Lovely deep red color, 100% cotton and the tag says “dry clean only.” I figure this is because it is home dec fabric. I don’t know what about most home dec fabric requires dry cleaning only, so I washed and dried a swatch in my machine. When that worked fine, I did the rest of the curtain (washed on cold, gentle cycle, and dried on low heat). So far, so good. I want to make a Sunday Brunch jacket out of it. Do you think the fact that it washed fine the first time will mean it will continue to wash fine? Or is there a possibility it will get wonky later?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I think it will be fine. As a rule, I always pre-treat my fabric the same or a little worse than I’ll actually treat it when it’s finished. So I just hand washed and line dried some wool coating for an upcoming pattern, and when it was dry I pressed it with steam. If I continue to treat it the same way when it’s finished it will be fine. With knits, I machine wash and then stick the fabric in the drier to cook it a bit. When I’ve sewn it I’ll usually line dry, so chances of further shrinkage are minimal.

I’d say go for it–should be great! I love velveteen.

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Red velveteen Sunday Brunch sounds lovely.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

Liesl, The info. that you are washing and steaming a piece of wool for an upcoming pattern makes me guess you might be designing a wool blazer. I would love to sew a blazer- for some reason I have elbow patches on my mind. I want to make it out of tweed or wool flannel.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I think it will be a wonderful fabric choice for a fall jacket. It would make a good cape too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.