Oliver + S

Holiday plans? Travel, sewing, other?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

What’s everyone doing for the holidays? Spring break is here or nearly here, Easter and Passover (I think? I’m an atheist so I apologize if I’ve got it wrong) are on their way, and Persian New Year just passed.

We went out for the traditional Persian ‘outdoor thirteen’ picnic, two weeks after the Spring equinox, albeit by accident. My birthday is close to the Persian New Year and we just went out on the closest weekend. It was so funny, we got to the park (which is enormous, with a polo field, hiking grounds, etc.) and it was almost 100% Iranians. I love seeing Iranians picnic because they take it so incredibly seriously. No sandwich-and-chips here, they’d have two middle-aged guys struggling to cart in whole huge trays of rice, platters of herbs and flatbread, and my husband spotted a grandma in a camping chair stirring a whole pot of soup over a little portable stove. So funny. My kid ran off and got herself adopted and fed by a bunch of grandmas (turns out some of her classmates were at the same park). Very homey and lovely feeling.

My sister’s husband is from an Irish Catholic family so we’re going to celebrate Easter with them, and I’m having a lot of fun planning my kid’s dress and putting together an Easter basket for her. I usually get her a chocolate bunny but I want to put together a basket too this year. What’s been the biggest hits with your kids?

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Yup, Easter is this weekend and for our kids, it’s Spring Break! We’ll take a scenic driving road trip as we usually do. I love a good road trip.

I had big plans of sewing Easter baskets for each of the kids, since we’ll be on the road for Easter itself. Sewing costumes for the Comic Convention got in the way of that though.

My kids love the Cadbury candy covered chocolate eggs. I like the peanut butter ones:-). The Easter Bunny always remembers mom:-).

LINK
    mcholley1 @mcholley1

Sarvi-

That sounds lovely! Big California families really know how to make a day of it at the parks!

Because of the time of year…the easter bunny always brings a new set of swimmers for each kid in addition to some sort of little toys. And, the requisite candy of course.

We already had our spring break and unfortunately hubby and I had to spend the week working. We are both college profs. The high school/elementary schools around here intentionally don’t do spring break at the same time b/c they don’t want the high school kids to “party” with the college crowd. We did manage a few dinners out with the kids and a trip to the city pool, though.

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

We are having a very nontraditional Easter.

When my husband and I married 3 years ago he joked that he wanted a Jeroboam of champagne for a dowry. My parents only went and bought one. I was pregnant when we married so we were saving it until I wasn’t pregnant or breastfeeding. Two babies later and I’m still breastfeeding but we’re worried about the champagne going off so we are having friends round to drink it tomorrow, the best man, ushers and their families etc. Unfortunately the forecast is rain.

We have a trip to the seaside planned for Saturday and friends round for an egg hunt in the garden on Sunday. Should be lots of fun!

I love the sound of the park visit and the road trip. It’s just so lovely to have some family time, and to feel like summer is coming.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Oh, everyone’s plans sound so nice! Don’t worry about the rain, I’m sure the bubbly will be it’s own kind of sunshine 🙂

Thanks for the idea about including some swim gear, that’ll work great for us!

LINK
    Justine J @justmejay

We’re having a quiet weekend here – today (Good Friday) we’re taking the kids to the Royal Easter Show (Ag show) – but they are more excited by the idea of rides and show bags rather than seeing the animals etc ;-). We have dinner at my parents’ every Sunday, so nothing different there. Hoping to do lots of sewing over the weekend – and over the next two weeks (our school holidays start today and we have two weeks off).

Greek Easter falls next weekend, so we will be spending time with John’s family for that.

As well as eggs, the Kids usually get some clothes (winter) and a book. For the last few years they’ve also got a pair of handmade pj’s, but afraid they won’t be this year – it’s been too busy for sewing.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Justine J.
    LINK
    Masha Richart
    Keymaster
    @roundtheworldgirl

Iranian picnics sound much like Armenian picnics. Armenians (at least in Armenia, not sure whether they do this in Glendale too, perhaps you know?) go out into the woods and build a barbecue pit, then haul in the platters of skewered meat, herbs and vegetables (and lots of bread, no rice). And don’t forget the moonshine. Lots of moonshine. Probably the Iranians aren’t as big on the moonshine 😉

We celebrate Orthodox Easter, which is not until next week (giving me a smidge more time to complete the boy’s Art Museum get-up and perhaps a new blouse for myself). The week prior is filled with special baking, house cleaning and a whole lot of time in church.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Armenians and Iranians are very very similar! I am quite sure I’ve seen some of those picnics 🙂

LINK
    Brittney @georgeandizzy

We always go to the Easter egg hunt at the local park on Saturday, the kids get soooo much candy. Last year they got (not kidding) a 5 gallon bucket full of taffy. They think it is the greatest. We gave half to Grandma for treats at her house and the rest lasted us nearly until Halloween.

I always make (or buy) the kids a new church outfit as it is already getting warm here this time of year, so we need something more appropriate (ie short sleeves). My husband thinks it’s crazy, but that was what my mom did and so I am glad so many others do so I can tell him it’s not just me, ha! We also do plastic eggs filled with candy and a small toy, something under $10. The kids spend hours hiding the eggs, so it makes for a nice quiet day for us.

Typically we get together with family, husband’s parents, siblings and their kids, and both sets of grandparents for a big turkey dinner. I pretty much always buy two turkeys at Thanksgiving/Christmas even though we don’t cook them for then, so about Easter I realize I need the room in my freezer/it will go bad soon so I supply that. Which reminds me- better go take it out!

LINK
    miss_sonja @miss_sonja

Dubhels, you can have a glass or two of champagne while breastfeeding. Latest research says it’s fine!

LINK
    dubhels2003 @dubhels2003

Miss_sonja I had read about that research and I am very pleased about it! I have missed the taste if champagne 😉

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

We are going to my husband’s father’s home. It is a small town about 3 hours away from us.

We have the wake, then Easter, then the funeral. Blergh! Oh well, such is the cycle of life and death.

It isn’t quite the normal Easter for us. Nothing quite brings into focus that element of faith about death and rebirth when you have a funeral right after Easter.

But the good news is that a friend from HS lives in that very small town 3 hours away and I said, “I may need a visit on Saturday night.” The in-laws house is home base for the entire extended family, so it will be teeming with 7 kids and spouses, 17 grandkids and some spouses, and 2 great grands, all grieving.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

The usual family Easter for us. My cousin is hosting. They have 2 little ones, my other older cousin has 3 and with our 3 it makes for a jolly egg hunt. My aunt and younger (20 somethings) cousins usually hide the eggs. I think it won’t be too fancy. My kids typically look the nicest, but I just love Easter finery.

Kitty still fits in last years Easter dress and it was far too pretty to not wear, so no Easter sewing. I do however, want to finish her swing set tunic because I have clients to sew for. I have been very busy this week with my other job.

I suppose I’ll be spending Easter waiting to see if the offer I made today on a new property gets accepted. If it does, I will be crazy busy for the next two months.

LINK
    Todd Gibson
    Keymaster
    @todd

@sarvi your Persian New Year in the park experience reminded me of one of my favorite Carl Sandburg poems from 1916.

Happiness

I asked the professors who teach the meaning of life to tell me what is happiness.
    And I went to famous executives who boss the work of thousands of men.
    They all shook their heads and gave me a smile as though I was trying to fool with them
    And then one Sunday afternoon I wandered out along the Desplaines river
    And I saw a crowd of Hungarians under the trees with their women and children and a keg of beer and an accordion.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Sarvi, that sounds like fun!! I love middle eastern cuisine.

We are being homebodies for spring break. Im mostly getting a ton of sewing done lol. Though I need to take a day and get the house in order.

We were invited to a friends church for an egg hunt tomorrow so we are probaably going to do that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.