Oliver + S

hem facing?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I’m cutting this pattern right now in Liberty and feeling stingy about the fabric. I plan to line the dress with a cotton voile, but don’t think I have quite enough to cut the hem facings on the bias. How necessary is the hem facing to this pattern? The skirt doesn’t look all that curved. Would a traditional hem work just as well? If not, how about some ribbon or high quality bias tape for the hem facing?

This is to be baby girl’s first Easter dress, so while I don’t want to waste good fabric, I also want it to be done right.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

It’s not so much about the curve as the flare of the skirt. You could use a contrast fabric instead of the Liberty for the facing, if you like, or you could lengthen the skirt and hem it the traditional way as well. It’s really a matter of preference. If you do lengthen and just fold under for a traditional hem, remember that you’ll need to ease in the additional width of the skirt. I’m sure it will be beautiful no matter how you hem it!

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Thanks, Liesl. I’ll do the fem facing then. I think it’s a lovely detail in general. I measured everything carefully and can eek out enough bias from the white voile I’m using for the lining. I’ll be sure to post pictures when it’s done. My boys will have matching ties, too! Won’t that be sweet?

LINK
    rastis @rastis

did you end up cutting the facing on the bias? i’m cutting mine out at the moment and wondering exactly the same thing!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.