Oliver + S

Help with Sizing for Ice Cream Dress

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • LINK
    addictedtocloth @addictedtocloth

I apologize if this is a rookie inquiry, but I have a question about the sizing of the ice cream dress. My daughter is 8 years old. According pattern measurements, her chest, waist and hip are a Size 5 (her bust is 23″, waist is 21″, hip 24 3/4″). Her Height (49 1/2″) is a Size 7. Her weight (about 50 lbs) is a Size 6. What size should I make her? I used tracing paper and cut out a Size 5 for her, but I’m thinking maybe I should cut a Size 6 to be safe? I’d like the top to be roomy for her, but not frumpy and baggy. Should I stick with the 5 and maybe lengthen it, or should I sew a bigger size?

Sorry, I’m a novice sewer!

Thanks so much.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

Great question, I have only made this a few times , but it is quite full , I would suggest a trial run with a not so special fabric in a 6 made a little longer , if it is too big , make the 5 and put the 6 away for next year.

LINK

Thank you so much motherof5! πŸ™‚ I really appreciate your super quick feedback! I was leaning towards the 6, so your post with your experience and suggestions really help! πŸ™‚ Thank you so much again!

LINK
    icicle @icicle

I agree with motherof5 — a 6 with extra length to be safe is what I would do — I’ve yet to be as disappointed with a project too big as I am with one too small! But honestly, a 5 with extra length would be just fine too as there really is a whole lot of extra width in this pattern, especially where most little kids carry it.

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I would tend to agree with you icicle , it is very roomy through the body!

LINK

Thank you so much icicle and motherof5! I really appreciate your feedback and help! I will let you guys know how it goes! πŸ™‚ Thanks again!

LINK
    Aviatrix51 @Aviatrix51

I have to make a dress for my niece who will be 7. According to her Mom, I need a size 12/14 for her depending on the cut. So do you think a size 12 Ice Cream dress will be okay?

Thanks.

Kate

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I think a size 12 should be fine , it is a lovely roomy cut!

LINK
    dkbnyc @dkbnyc

IMO, this biggest issue with this pattern wont be the circumference, it will be with the armhole drop, I made my DD a dress in the appropriate size and the armhole just felt to high on her. for the next version, it was a top this time, i slashed the lower bodice and dropped the armhole- this also increased the overall length, but thats no problem

LINK
    housecall @housecall

I’m making View A for an out of state niece. Her measurements are chest: 20.5 waist: 21.5 and height 43.5. She is just turning 5.

So, I’m planning to cut out a size 2 and add inches to the center for length. What do you think?

Hero there says she wears a size 6 in RTW. I’ve made view c and it is very roomy, so I’m thinking it will work, but the extreme size differential is making me nervous!

LINK
    Nicole @motherof5

I can understand you being a little apprehensive.

How about trying the size 3 with extra length? I would worry it may seem too long and out of shape with that much length added to the small size.

What do you think?

LINK
    needlewoman @needlewoman

I’ve made the Ice Cream quite a few times – it’s one of my absolute favs in O+S patterns. I’d go with the size 3, housecall, with required lengthening as Nicole suggests. It is a lovely roomy pattern around the chest but the armholes can become a little tight when the child is on the cusp of one size to another. And that will be the area that dictates how much wear your niece has in it. I do sympathise about the difficulties of long-distance sewing – that’s a constant for all my kid clothes’ sewing, unfortunately. RTW is never a reliable indicator for sizing home sewn items; well, only in so far that bought clothes are usually a bigger size than needed for the item you make yourself. Really looking forward to seeing the end result. Fiona.

LINK
    juliamom2009 @juliamom2009

Hi housecall – my daughter is 4 years old, wears generally a size 5 or 6 in RTW and is almost exactly those measurements of your niece. The difference is that her chest is 21″, and she’s a half an inch taller. She still has size 3 Ice Cream tops that she wears, but if I were to make another, I’d definitely make a 4 for exactly the reason that Fiona stated – it’s the armholes that are a bit small on her at this point. My suggestion to you would be to make a 4 and lengthen it a bit. Good luck – it must be tough to sew for people when you don’t get to measure them along the way!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Housecall, I have a niece with very similar measurements. She also wears a 6 in RTW because she needs the length. I generally sew her a lengthened size 3 or 4 but have never made the Icream dress or top so I can’t comment on the sizing. Until the last few weeks she was still squeezing into a lengthened 18 to 24m Tea Party dress I made her 2 years ago πŸ™‚

LINK
    housecall @housecall

Thanks ladies. I think I’ll go 4 with length. I think I’d rather it be too big than too small. The dress is pretty forgiving.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.