Oliver + S

Help for an Experienced Beginner

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    Cindy Swoveland @CindySwoveland

Hi – I am a quilter normally but, in the distant past, I was a garment maker. I even took a tailoring class once and made a suit. But that was long ago and far away. I have a lovely length of wool that I found in my fabric stash and I bought the Woodland Stroll Cape for that fabric. I am awaiting delivery of some Liberty Tana Lawn for the lining and also some leather buckle closures instead of buttons. Now, I have questions: First, interfacing: I have a lot of unbleached muslin. Can I use that instead of lightweight iron on interfacing (which I recall very unfondly!). I am familiar with how to attach non-iron on interfacing. Just need to know what to use for it. Second, thread for garment sewing? I use Aurifil 50 wt cotton for quilting. Is that ok? Or should I get something else? Third and I think last is sewing on the leather closure tabs to the wool. Any special thing to do here? Any special thread? I know that is a lot of questions but it has been since the 1980’s that I made a garment!!!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Hello, and a few quick answers to your questions: you can probably use unbleached muslin if you pre-wash it, and I would likely toss it in the dryer to be sure it’s completely shrunk. They press it well before use. My experience with Aurifil is limited but I would suggest an all-purpose thread for apparel stitching. It’s best when the thread has some poly for strength. And I’m not sure what sort of leather closures, but again all-purpose thread or even denim thread if you want a heavier topstitching. If the holes are pre-drilled you might want to hand-stitch to line up your stitching to the holes? Have fun!

LINK

Thank you. I will certainly prewash the muslin before use! I believe the leather closures I got do have pre-drilled holes and I think hand stitching would look nice, as I could use a heavier thread. This is all a new adventure for me – out of my comfort zone of making and quilting quilts!

LINK
    Marion @Mazza

Hi,
    I’ve done something silly. I have a pretty fabric that’s hard to tell the wrong and right side of. And yes, I’ve cut it out on the wrong side! Ekkkk!!!! Can I still use it?

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Can’t you just flip it and use the right side? Everything is symmetrical, so just mark the wrong side so you keep it all straight.

LINK
    Marion @Mazza

Hummm…I thought I might but it’s and “odd “ dress a Marcy Tildon pattern that has unusual pieces all over the place. Would it still be ok to “flip” it? Thanks For answering my questions and not making me feel silly.

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Marion.
    LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

My understanding was that you’re sewing the Woodland Stroll Cape?

LINK

Follow up question…I have read through the instructions and don’t see anything about the seam allowance. In the old days when I was making garments, the seam allowance was 5/8″. Is that the seam allowance that is supposed to be used on this garment? I am so used to using 1/4″ seams for quilts! I don’t want to screw up!!!

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

Hi Cindy, the seam allowance is there on Page 2 of the Instructions: General Instructions, point 4: “Seam allowances are included in the pattern and are 1/2″ unless otherwise noted”.

All of the Oliver + S an dLiesl+ Co patterns tend to work with 1/2″ seam allowances, the main exception being knit garments which may have a 1/4″ seam allowance. You’ve remembered correctly that the big commercial patterns tend to be 5/8″ seam allowance.

Enjoy sewing the cape!

LINK

Oh…thank you. 1/2″ seems quite sensible!

LINK

I have finally finished it! It looks great and was reasonably easy too! Though I must confess that I’d much rather be quilting!!!Thanks to those Liesl for a great pattern

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

It looks great on you! Well done.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.