Oliver + S

Has there been a big upswing in interest in sewing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • LINK
    sewinginthecity @sewinginthecity

I went to Barnes & Noble yesterday, and noticed there seems to be three times as many sewing books on the shelves than there were about a year ago. Last year, the only book I saw for sewing children’s clothes that came with patterns was Amy Butler’s Little Stitches, and now there are 4 or 5 of them. Has there been an explosion in interest in sewing that I missed? Do you folks think it’s because of Project Runway, or is this just the next wave after the knitting wave?

LINK
    Christi1969 @Christi1969

From what I’ve seen, sewing is the next “in” thing after knitting. The trendy shop that started out offering knitting classes in my neighborhood is now also carrying Amy Butler fabrics and patterns. And, there is a new business in the same neighborhood that is primarily offering sewing lessons. They’re calling themselves home ec studio.

I stopped by my sewing machine dealer last week to order a special foot. And, when I bought my new machine a few years back (2004), I was the only person under 40 that came to the shop, attended all the guide classes and joined their sewing group. Now, that same shop is desperately looking for more sewing teachers. And, they are offering 2 beginning sewing classes per weekend. Whereas before, they would offer a basic sewing class once or twice a year.

So, sewing is definitely seeing a resurgence. And, I think it is too big to be credited to Project Runway alone.

LINK
    janimal @janimal

I really really really hope so. I have been attending sewing guild functions lately, and each time I go, I come home feeling young and pretty! I jest, but I am often the youngest person in the room, and I’m not necessarily a spring chicken myself (37). It makes me concerned for the future of the sewing world. Three cheers for a resurgence!

LINK
    April Henry @April1930s

Here! here! And we need to teach our daughters, too, because Home Ec is no longer available anymore.

LINK
    sewinginthecity @sewinginthecity

I really hope there is a long lasting resurgence too. I’ve been sewing since childhood, and I was sad to see the stores I used to go to with Mom close up. I think what doesn’t help sewing is that it is solitary. You can knit with your friends, but it’s hard to get together with sewing machines. Being part of forums like this, looking at blogs and flickr helps you feel connected.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.