Oliver + S

Halloween Talk

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I would start with something that already had sleeves. I think the Puppet show is the most

Alice looking of all the OandS patterns, but if you’re doing the white apron too, you could maybe even get away with the music class blouse lengthened. I think the sleeves and collar are the. Ist important elements.

I’m currently trying to figure out what kind of fabric best resemble chain mail and amor. If I can convince DS1 to be St George for the all saints pagent that the first graders do at his school he could then also be a knight for Halloween. He seems to think I’m going to make him 2 costumes! And ones for his brother and sister!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Looking at the new patterns, the new ‘fairy tale dress’ would make a lovely Alice dress.

LINK
    Jess M. @mommy2maria

Heidi,

As if you HAD to mention it. I agree though, it might be perfect! And I already planned to get it! 🙂 So does that technically count as “a pattern I already own”?? LOL

St. George would be cute! What about silver mesh material for chain mail? Ooh OOH!! Or this:

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57839829/mercury-quicksilver-silver-sequin-fabric

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

Oh you jumped in before me! The Fairy tale dress will solve all issues of what pattern to use and then you just add an apron pinnie over the top and voila! You have a real life animated alice!

Perfick!

LINK

giggle, giggle, giggle.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

I am also planning to base a Halloween costume on the Fairytale dress this year… at first I was going to make a hybrid of the puppet show and the jump rope, but I think I’m better off starting fresh. At this point 4 y.o. wants to be Snow White, but I’ve learned from experience that a generic princessy dress has more versatility for year-round dress-up box usage. I do want sleeves that come down as it can get really cold — last year it snowed three days before!

To avoid the tussle of not wanting to wear coats because thier costumes could not be seen, I also made both kids capes like the one from the Little Things to Sew book, but I re-drafted them to come down to knee length but keep the same circumference on the bottom, and used two colors of fleece for her (princess), and faux fur inside and brown fleece outside for him (Jedi master). Voila, costume-coordinated warmth!

LINK

Reeni, how did you lengthen the LTTS cape? Did you just draw the line straight down? My friend wants me to help her sew a ‘Queen Cape” that is floor length. I want to use the LTTS cape (with length) and introduce her to Liesl’s fantastic instructions! thanks

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I was just thinking that the Fairy Tale would be great for the little girl from “Put Me In the Zoo” — you could steal the big bow for her hair! I’m still plugging away at my Miss Honey costume. I’ve got half a cardigan and a Music Class blouse cut out.

LINK
    Reeni @Reeni

Heidi, I redrew the curve of the cape from the shoulder so it still had the same bottom circumference but each pattern piece was longer and narrower… otherwise it’s very voluminous, almost like a circle skirt! I didn’t change the hood at all because it’s roomy enough for even a teen/adult.

LINK
    Mel @Mel

So I’ve got the cape for Hedwig almost finished: http://www.flickr.com/photos/50842074@N08/8040596035/in/photostream

I’ve been told that brown tips on the feathers are absolutely necessary and I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what to use. I probably should have done it prior to sewing it up but too late now!

I don’t anticipate ever washing this — I don’t think it would survive — but whatever I use needs to be permanent in case of rain (or snow!). The main cape is flannel and the feathers are made out of cotton harem cloth (kinda like cheesecloth).

thanks!

Melissa

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So my kids decided they will be Jake, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell for Halloween. Plus, I have to make my oldest a st Nicholas costume for his all saints pageant. How did I agree to this? So make is nearly done because I made middle son the vest as a birthday present. I only need to make a shirt and some fake boots. Peter is pretty easy too, I think, a green pirate shirt with jagged edges, some street pants and a maybe a felt hat? But tinkerbell, that’s tricky. After all, her costume is seriously slutty. I’m going to imagine more of what Tink might have worn as a little girl and I really think she would have had little tulip fairy tale sleeves, don’t you think? And while it would be cool if I could be Wendy and DH could be hook, I believe four costumes is really enough to make.

LINK

What about making the fairy tale dress with no sleeves, no collar and no sash/belt is pale green fabric with a pointy scalloped hem. You could even make some ‘petals’ out of something shiny and ad them in at the waist for that petal look.

Another option might be the Badminton skort in pale green with the badminton top without the shoulder ruffles.

So long as it is the right colour with wings and maybe a ponytale people will know who she is.

If you want to make your own wings (not as hard as it sounds), I have made some and attached them to the badminton skirt using this tutorial http://www.ikatbag.com/2011/05/wings-deconstructed.html .

Here’s a link to the wings http://www.flickr.com/photos/73669617@N07/7842739436/

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

Yes, I was thinking of the fairy tale dress but drafting my own skirt. I do think a little girl Tink would have sleeves though. And not puffy princess sleeves, but the tulip ones.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

So how are hedging and Alice going? I have a plan for tinkerbell, but I’m trying to decide what kind of fabric to use. I was thinking one of the nice quilting cottons, like Moda, so that it would be very nice and durable and be great for dress up. And there is a rainbow of colors to choose from. Plus, the costume stains are just so yuky. But then I thought its just a plain greet dress, shouldn’t it be a special nice fabric? What kinds of fabrics do you like for costumes?

LINK
    Robin @Robin

Mel, stick with the quilting cotton, but what if you did an over skirt of sparkle tulle? There’s also “fairy frost” quilting cotton that has some kind of plasticy, sparkly coating on top. I made Sophie a Tinker Bell costume out of crepe back satin and I regret it to this day. It snagged and pilled as soon as Sophie put it on.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.