Oliver + S

Great tools

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

So when Liesl recommends a tool, I let it percolate and see if I can find something similar locally, only to look at it physically before I decide to buy. I could not find anywhere the paper (which I knew would be the case) nor the Clover tracing wheel.

The last time I bought a pattern (rollerskate) I added the blunt tracing wheel and both colors of the tracing paper. I love the blunt Clover wheel. It is sturdy and comfortable in my hand. The paper is awesome.

Never have any marks I have made been more clear and transferring marks to my tracing paper via the blunt wheel has made for really precise markings.

Liesl, thanks! I love them.

So if any of you are thinking about them, let me tell you, I love them both and they are so worth it as far as good tools go.

LINK
    Jennifer1568 @Jennifer1568

I am going to try them.

I bought the Misty Fuse and the Goddess Sheets. I think the Misty Fuse is wonderful for applique. I am going to use it from now on. I have also used it to make interfacing and to repair a hole in a play clothes. It is like double sided glue. The Goddess Sheets protect your iron. They are used sort of like a pressing cloth and are needed when using Misty Fuse.

I bought the waste canvas and did the cross stitch pattern on the Croquet Dress pattern that Liesl blogged. It turned out really cute and was easy and pretty quick to do. I really had to strain my eyes, though. I want to do more cross stitching and embroidery on my sewing projects.

LINK
    meleliza @meleliza

I used to use the waste canvas when I was little. I loved cross stitch and it was fun to put little designs on my t shirts. I smiled when Liesl brought it back. I should get some and do Kitty’s little clothes too.

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

Aw, thanks everyone! I’m glad you’re trying these tools and liking them. I’ve got lots more ideas for tools and projects that we’ll be introducing over the next few months, so please let me know how they work out! It’s fun for me to have time to play with these ideas, and it’s nice to hear that you’re enjoying them. I’m going to start introducing you to my favorite sewing tools soon, and I hope that will be helpful too. I believe in buying good quality tools and making the most of them, so I’m looking for the best items. We don’t need a lot of stuff; just good quality things that make the difference in our sewing. After all, sewing time is a luxury these days. We need to make the most of it!

LINK
    cybele727 @cybele727

Liesl,

One of the tools I am always looking for is a great marking pen.

I use a Frixion which is perfect except for one thing. It irons out, and poof your mark is gone. I am getting to the point where I am beginning to use the tracing wheel, but that is cumbersome for quick marks, etc.

So what works like a pen/pencil, washes out, doesn’t flake or fade off, leaves a precise mark that doesn’t smear or brush off like chalk, and doesn’t iron out?

That’s a dream tool!

🙂

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I’ll definitely address this in future weeks! I think you’ll find that there’s no one perfect answer to your question, but you have a few options that will work for different purposes.

For example, I think the Frixion pen is great, but did you know that the markings can come back when the fabric gets cold? I’ve messed around with it quite a bit and don’t feel totally comfortable with those pens because the marks can still show faintly on light-colored fabrics and can never be totally removed. And just imagine going outside in the winter and having them all re-appear again! Eek. Could be a neat party trick, at least.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

https://www.superbuzzy.com/shop/product/karisma-fabric-pencil/

One time it took a few washes to get the blue ‘lead’ out of a white cotton shirting (from marking the pleats on a Music Class Blouse. I doubt anybody would notice who wasn’t looking carefully, but it did bug me. On a very highly patterned fabric (like vividly colored ditsy print) it can sometimes be hard to see the mark unless you make a bit heavier line.

99% of the time, though, it’s perfect, meets all your requirements.

LINK
    aprilshowers @aprilshowers

cybele, since the Frixion does come back in the cold I will often throw my piece in the freezer to get those ironed-out marks back 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.