Oliver + S

General sewing question about lining pants

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • LINK
    Anonymous @

I am hoping that someone out there can help me! I am going to make some PJ pants for my kids in the near future and want to line them. I am wondering if anyone has any tips, websites, or information that you can share with me. I have never lined pants before, only dresses. These are simple PJ pants – straight leg with an elastic waist. Just wondering what the “proper” way to do this is. I’ve thought about essentially making two pants (one from the outer fabric and one from the lining which is flannel) and slipping the lining inside the pant and hemming them together and doing the waist together. My other thought is to sew the flannel lining to each pant leg panel so that it is basically two layers and then putting them together that way. For all I know, both of these ideas could be wrong! Thanks for any help or input!

Laura

LINK
    JohannaO @JohannaO

I like your first idea because that would essentially make them reversible. If you use the cuff binding like on the bedtime story P.J.’s and color coordinate them to each side, I think it would look really snazzy. If one of the fabrics is very bulky, I would try to cut the seams down as much as possible.

So I would make two pants, trim the seams, slip them inside each other, make a cuff binding, add a waistband, and done!

LINK
    Liesl Gibson
    Keymaster
    @liesl

I agree with Johanna and just want to add that you should be sure to pre-wash and dry your fabric once or twice before you cut it. That way one fabric won’t shrink more than the other, which would be very annoying. Have fun!

LINK
    Anonymous @

Thanks for the tips! And Liesl I think I will wash and dry the fabric twice. The dress that I lined had the problem of one fabric shrinking more than the other and I washed and dried BOTH fabrics before hand. Hopefully if I do it twice this time I won’t have that problem! Thanks again!

LINK
    Anonymous @

ooh – good tip for all linings I guess!

LINK
    Lizabeth @Lizabeth

I bumped up another thread about linings for you.

LINK
    Anonymous @

Thanks Lizabeth! I will check it out 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.