Oliver + S

Front Jacket and Lining not matching

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • LINK
    merelee79 @merelee79

I’m almost done with this coat and am now stuck on a problem I’m having.

I cannot seem to get the raw edges lined up at the bottom when I attach the lining to the coat. The section where we zigzagged that raw edge is longer than the lining and it bunches up like they aren’t the right width.

Here are a few pictures to help explain:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51561330@N03/9988509415/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51561330@N03/9988505964/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51561330@N03/9988497934/in/photostream/

I added a polyester filling to the coat to make it a little bit heavier since I went with a light corduroy for the outside.

I came across harrisinaus’ post about a problem with the front facing and lining and am not sure if that is the same thing I did or not. I’m pretty sure I sewed them on correctly but who knows! HA!

Thanks in advance,

Meredith

LINK
    Tamara @justsewit

What size are you making Meredith? I made a size eight and didn’t have a problem. Having said that though I didn’t use poly filling – could be throwing things out of kilter slightly maybe? It have been a few years since I made mine so I am so sorry for not being anymore help.

Someone should be along shortly to help though.

LINK
    merelee79 @merelee79

Justsewit,

I’m making a size 2. After going ahead with the poly-fill, I sort of regret it now because it makes it very bulky, but I know I will be glad I did add it so it provides a little more warmth.

LINK
    Lightning McStitch @LightningMcStitch

I can’t make out from your photos whether you’re having problems with width or length. Most people get muddled with the length, so:

Here’s a picture of the finished point where the lining and the front facings meet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79480359@N03/9994303463/

The lining is intentionally longer than the facing and then gets doubled back on itself to create this little fold.

in your situation you might trim the polyfill to the same length as the jacket so that only the lining fabric is folded back.

Conversely if it’s WIDTH of lining versus width of jacket, did you remember to baste the pleat down the centre of the lining? that will take some width out of the lining and then the jacket and the lining should have the same circumference at the hem

LINK
    Maggie @Maggie

I’m making a size 5 version now, and I’m just at the hemming the bottom point. I wish I could help, but I don’t understand what problem you are having.

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

I made one a while ago and am about to start on another, so if you don’t find a solution any sooner, i will try to help when I get to the same step. Would it help you troubleshoot if you folded things into what should be their final shape/position? Sometimes that helps me figure out what will end up where and I can see where things might have gotten out of kilter.

LINK
    merelee79 @merelee79

Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I was having issues more with length (which I now know was supposed to be that way). However, when I would line up the edges on the corners I think i was also trying to match up the side seams too, causing it to bunch up. I ended up just sewing it together (worst that can happen is I have to use the seam ripper).

I’m at the part now where I need to blindstitch the folded edge of the lining sleeve to the coat sleeve. We’ll see how well I do this part. HA!

LINK
    Sarvi @Sarvi

Good luck, we’re rooting for you!

LINK
    merelee79 @merelee79

Thanks Sarvi.

Okay, so I am stumped again. I need to blindstitch the lining’s folded sleeve edge to the outside sleeve one inch from the topstitching? I don’t remember topstitching this part. I looked at pictures and saw that the sleeve is stitched about one inch on the outside but also, the outside fabric is tucked into the sleeve.

I know this can’t be that complicated and I am sure I’m overthinking it. Just trying to focus with kids running around and begging for something every five minutes 🙂

LINK
    merelee79 @merelee79

Whoohoo, I figured it out! On the homestretch!!!!!!

LINK
    with love Heidi @with love Heidi

Yay, nearly there! Looking forward to seeing it!

LINK
    merelee79 @merelee79

It’s done. It’s done. It’s done. Can’t get any decent pictures since it’s dark and the picture quality is poor. Will hopefully post some pictures tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your help. I greatly appreciate it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

copyright

Unless otherwise credited, all work on this blog is © Liesl + Co., Inc, 2008-2024. You are welcome to link to this blog, but please ask permission before using any text or images.